Parasound vs Coda

All,

I've been doing a lot of research into moving up from my current amplifier (Parasound JC5) and have scoured comparisons of Parasound to Pass Labs and others that I've been considering. Speakers are Focal Kanta 3s, Pass XP22, Lumin U1, Denafrips Terminator Plus. The setup sounds great as is but would be interested in an amp that offers a bit more refinement in the midrange and treble. Coda from all my research could fit that goal.

One comparison I haven't found has been users who've heard Parasound and Coda amps (I'm considering the Coda 16 or possibly 8) and would love to hear about what others have heard as far as preference, tonality differences, etc. Thank you in advance!

christianb5s4

Do not pass go....but go to your nearest McIntosh dealer and get the best model that you can afford and never look back !

@mbmi 

That is very definitely true for some folks. Definitely worth a listen. But for many their sound quality is not for us. 

@ghdprentice 

There's definitely something about those blue Mcintosh meters that doctors just love.

@1extreme

+1. I love those meters and the look. About once every five years I have gone in to buy a Mac component, sat down and listened to it for thirty seconds and gave up. The sound quality is not what I am looking for… they are like muscle cars and I like performance cars… well, if I was into cars.

I have the Coda No.8 V1. It’s much better sounding than the Parasound amps I’ve tried. The Coda sounds similar to the Pass XA25 but with way more grunt. It’s also much quieter than any Parasound amp. 

I’ve ran my No.8 with the Topping A90D and Mac C49 preamps. The latter is warmer, with greater punch, while the former is higher in resolution and more neutrally balanced. The Topping performs similarly to the Benchmark LA4 but with a hint of added warmth. One area the Coda excels in when paired with the Topping is “decay.” It produces better instrument decay than many tube amps IME. 

Suffice to say the No.8 is the best amplifier I’ve owned and likely my last.