Digitally recorded vinyl vs streaming

I know this is an hot button for many, but here goes... I like vinyl and have many albums from the 60's, 70's and 80's.  I'm interested in some 80's and 90's albums - like U2, REM, Nirvana,  but I wonder if they will sound any better than streaming since they were probably recored digitally.

mojo771

@lalitk Congratulations on your purchase of BP.  It’s a fine sounding DAC and appropriate for pairing with decent streamer like Vault. I am currently using a SS DAC, which I am extremely happy with. There are no valve components in my system. If I ever choose to go valve route, picking a Lampizator DAC like GG2 would be my first choice. 

Thanks for the note.  I won't have it for at least a few more weeks. Being built now. I sold off the last of my tube dacs prior to this.  In my situation, I'm not a fan of tubes directly in the signal path for my DAC setup.  The BP SE-I DAC associates the tube as a rectifier for the power supply part of the circuit, and not directly in the signal path itself.  Something I prefer, as with the rest of my system being all-tube. It may be a dac to rotate in/out adjacent to another dual-chip NOS solid state dac. Will be interesting to compare. Thx

Regardless of whether the vinyl mastering source is digital or analogue, play back is still 100% analogue. Taking a DAC out of the equation makes a difference. Not always for the better though. Many variables as discussed prior.

Personally, I don't care what format the vinyl mastering source is, as long as the pressing sounds good.      

Find a used Lumin T3 or X1 for one box. You will get a LOT of recommendations and all will be good as long as the rest of the peripherals are good. Power, cables, et all. X1 has PSU. Check out Muon too.

Or get a great phononstage, etc.

Vinyl reproduction in its entirety has a unique set of characteristics/distortions that overlay any other format type as to make them all sound like vinyl playback. It does not matter how the recording was done. Once the recording is in the vinyl format it will always sound like vinyl. This is something anyone who records vinyl to high resolution digital files will tell you. Whether or not this is good or bad is another issue for others to argue about. 

@mojo771 New issue of Sterophile (Aug) has a well written, detailed, and very favourable write up on the new ifi Audio NEO stream. It’s only $1299 and “punches way above it’s weight.”  Get your Mojo working.