Integrating speakers into contemporary decor - can WAF ever be overcome?

This is a topic I'd like to see discussed more.  Not a speaker issue per se, but it's speakers that usually cause the problems. My partner is a hard core interior design/aesthetics type. We will shortly be combining households with all the benefits and challenges that this presents. We're both fans of a "Music In Every Room" (MIER) lifestyle, so that's a good start. But we quickly diverge. And to be clear, we're not talking about giant screens on the wall or home theater. This is audio only.

Anyway, her idea of MIER is built-in speakers or, at most, tiny Sonos units on a bookshelf or behind furniture. I had some of that in my house albeit BlueOS stuff. That's OK to a point. But my LR had KEF LS50's on stands. Obviously difference in sound is dramatic, and she admitted it. But she doesn't care. For her the improvement in sound quality is negated by aesthetic horror of visible speakers.

It's worth mentioning that the decor/design aesthetic in question is basically high end transitional with mix of contemporary stuff, Asian antiques, some colonial antiques, large format abstract oils, etc. It's >not< traditional or frou-frou, really a look where the right speakers could easily be interpreted as industrial design pieces that mesh well with the rest. The LS50s fit that description I think.

So, getting to the question here... Has anybody had any luck convincing spouse that speakers can be a part of the decor?  To think of them as some kind of sculptural elements, not "just ugly speakers?"  That they're industrial design elements that somehow add to space? Have links to pix of living spaces that integrated speakers into the look? Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks for reading, a kind of odd topic, I know. Cheers,

128x128kletter1mann

This thread prompts me to reflect on how fortunate I've been in the matter of wives and audio.  Without going into too much detail, wife #2 got me started in quality audio.  I was supporting her equestrian habit, and really didn't buy much for myself.  Out of the blue, one day she asked, "why don't you get yourself some nice speakers?"  I did, and loved them.  She enjoyed them, too.  More equipment followed.  We shopped for amps together.

I was even more fortunate with wife #3 (current, and hopefully the last one)!  She is a former classical musician and recording artist.  When we went shopping together for speakers about three years ago, she told me "I don't care what they look like.  Sound quality is what matters."  Thankfully, our tastes in both music and speakers are closely aligned, but I care more about appearance than she does.  We ended up with Sonus Faber floorstanders, which we agree sound terrific -- the best speakers we auditioned -- and look good.  

May you all be at least half as fortunate as I've been!

I have been fortunate to have only one partner for the last 37 years. We have a very supportive relationship. She has done everything she could to enhance my life and dealt with me working all over the world and my audio obsession, even when it clashed with her aesthetic. I always tried to make her life better… expand her experiences (she is disabled) and she has always done everything in her power to make my life better.

When I think back on the women I did not choose they were in the relationship for them and not me. I think I chose wisely. We have had a really caring relationship for nearly 38 years, trying to help each other achieve their goals.

Thinking about what I have said. My advice should be clear.

Larsen loudspeakers are engineered precisely for extreme WAF problems like you have.  They sit up against the wall.  You need to have them both on the same wall of course, and an appropriate distance apart.  Don't let the wife put them on different walls.   Shoot her if she does.  No jury will convict you.

@russbutton....Only if she's 'into' current modern sensibilities of design and the architecture that it fits into...

Otherwise, you're just as lost in the morass as most... and most juries' won't care a fleas' tush about why you popped a cap into her, wherever it landed...

(...even if you had access to a Trump-level of legal beagle...likely worse if you did...;)...)

Mine of 45+ likes the small Maggies' we have, doesn't care much for the 'typical' boxes about, and is 'trying to remain open-minded' over my DIY Walsh's (although they're currently in a 'raw' state....).

It's a dance with the mantis at mating season.....and we males don't do well overall....😏

Good variable factors, tho'

J

I'm reading these posts and it still looks like your speakers are the centerpiece of your room. Or that you don't have much decor or furniture. I personally find this topic silly. Are you all using Tekton Moab speakers in black? Is your living room just a TV, speakers and a grey sofa? Do you have acoustic foam on all 4 walls and in random spots? To me it just sounds like you have to decorate, regardless of the speakers. But good luck making an aesthetically pleasing room with giant black tower speakers... 

I also want to add that the Mission 770 is a tasteful design. It's a giant box, but the white font lightens up the visual impact and the wood veneer sides add warmth.

And what's up with Wilson Audio? Their speakers look like something out of an Alien movie. They are menacing like insects from Starship troopers. The Wilson XVX is an eyesore. The automotive paint finish is reminiscent of bumper cars in an amusement park. The head designer of Wilson Audio must be a 7 year old boy. Seriously...

@grislybutter A lot of people say that. You gotta loosen up. A room without quirky/interesting elements feels like an office rec room. Bring curves, plants, patterns, real wood, color and cozy fabrics into the room. You'll immediately feel better.