Which Hegel Amp with LRS+

Hi there. I am updating my system for watching TV, movies and other video content. I am taking the opportunity of moving away from an AV receiver and my 18  year old Acoustic Energy system. Replacing it will be a LRS+ (which I have already purchased) and a Hegel amplifier. The question is which Hegel amplifier?

I understand from comments by others that the H95 runs very hot when driving the LRS+. The H190 seems up to the job, but then again there is the H390 which can handle the power requirements of the LRS+ in its stride. As it is quite a jump (price wise) between the H190 and the H390, I am wondering whether it would be worth spending the extra money for the H390? 🤔

Can I check with those that have a pair of LRS speakers and Hegel amplifiers as to your experience, and which Hegel amplifier that you would recommend and the rationale for the same? 

FYI apart from watching video content, I will be connecting the Hegel to my Roon Nucleus as well. 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

128x128dcpillai

@stuartk

i have had all three (190, 390, 590), along with an h20 power amp, but that is an aside

to me, used as an amplifier only (no dac) through the rca or xlr inputs the 190 and 590 have a similar amount of high treble energy, the 390 is ever slightly smoothed over up top and in the upper mids -- overall i would say the 390 sounds the ’warmest’ even though they all obviously provide a close family resemblance in sonic presentation - the differences here are less than, for instance, plugging in a pass int-60, which provides even more midrange warmth and tube like 'wooliness'

depending on the speaker being driven the 190 may have a touch less low end grip and can sound a little leaner, but this is very speaker dependent and this would be heard on quite a difficult, reactive low impedance speaker (which the maggie is not)

i kept the 390 as it has the better internal dac than the 190, decodes mqa, and with my maggies i don’t need that touch of treble energy the 590 provides... and the 2 grand price difference is well applied elsewhere

Thanks for your input @jjss49 

As I was researching the Hegel line up, I came to know of the fact that the H90 and H95 run very hot. As I live in a tropical climate, that could be a major issue. And then there's the fact that the H95 is not Roon ready, which is likely to be my main source for this setup.    

That's why I am looking at the H190 and H390. Will keep this thread posted as to my choice over the next 2 weeks. 

@jjss49 

Thanks for your clarification regarding the nuances of the various Hegel integrateds. 

As the owner of pass 250, Accuphase 380, mac ma 352,and hegal 390, I can tell you the 390 is very warm. In fact I would say you have to be  careful speaker matching with the hegal. I had my mac running wth my NHT c3’s and it was magic to my ears. Switch to the Hegal and it sounded like the tweeters were covered. Switch out the NHT for my Ls50 meta’s and sounded like an entirely  different amp. Very  lush mids, and very good sparkling highs. Not to mention the control with the hegal bass is very very good. If the LRS is warm sounding, Im not sure the hegal would be a good choice. 

I borrowed a set of Magepan MG-I’s with some low frequency distortions on higher volume and was very impressed. After a lot of research (never enough) on selection, placement, amplifier, etc. I ordered new LRS+ a month ago (3 month wait). By the way they will give you their honest opinion on selecting an amplifier.

I tried and returned the Peachtree Nova300, and decided on the Hegel H95 ’cause of cost. But found a 3 month old Hegel H190, and after talking with the owner and the authorized dealer that sold it, took a chance for $2700. I have it for 2 weeks now.

A Class A,B amplifier with 150/450W on 8/4 ohm speakers, very hi current output and over 4000 damping factor, will drive most high end speakers out there.

Love the fact the sound is mostly neutral (depends on speakers), reproduces the original source with no noise at the highest volume, thanks to their patented noise cancelling technology. Hegel is highly recommended for the LRS+ speakers.

My room is 18ft wide open on both sides, by 16ft deep, the maggies are 5ft from the 18ft wall, 9ft apart (center) and 9ft from the couch. The mg-i’s are set straight or 2" tilted (having decided) and straight up horizontal, nothing in the middle (removed low tables) or behind, the stage sound is incredible!

I most give credit to Jay’s iyagi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3IiH-SjhBE

All I need are the new LRS+ and with adjustments I should be all set!