Transporter vs Ayre CX-7e

About a month ago, I bought a Logitech Transporter and it was a noticeable improvement over my Music Hall Maverick SACD player (for playing RBCD) so I gave it some thought and ultimately decided to dump all my physical disc players and move toward a media-server based solution with the Transporter as my final digital front-end.

However, I was in the showroom the other day at a local HiFi store and they had an Ayre CX-7e pumping through some decent, but not rediculous equipment. It was going through an Anthem TLP-1 Preamp, feeding an Anthem MCA-20 amp and pushing Paradigm Signature S6 v2 speakers.

I had heard just about all of this equipment before, but the Ayre was new to me and I was in awe over the tonal accuracy of instruments and voice. BUT, it was in a showroom, different equipment than I have, etc, etc, etc.

So my question is, does anyone here have any direct experience comparing a CX-7e with a Transporter? Was what I was hearing in the showroom a product of the showroom acoustics or is the Ayre clearly a better sounding device (when it comes to airiness and tonal accuracy).

I currently have a Marantz AV8003 preamp feeding an Outlaw 750 amp (although looking to replace the amp as mentioned in another recent post) pushing a pair of Focal/JMLabs Electra 1027be's. I'd like to think that my preamp/amp/speakers equal or exceed the quality of what I heard but I can't get the sound from that showroom out of my head.

Maybe I'm just rambling and I've already subconsciously made a decision here, but I figured I'd reach out to see what ye almighty Audiogonners thought.

Thanks in advance,

-Ben
fatgh0st
I had not listened to hi res files on the transport.

The system I listened to the Ayer 5/7 and Esoterics in was yre preamp (not expensive, about $3,000); Ayre MXR amps (awesome amps) and speakers were the Dynaudio Saphire's. The system I head the Ayre 7 and transporter in was Classe amp & preamp and B&W 802's.
Chesebert,

How would the Ayre C-5Xe reading a redbook layer vs. a transport running a 24bit/88khz flac file?
I have both the transporter stock, Modwright transporter, Ayre C5XE and the Marantz SA7s1. I can send a picture of all of them together if you email me.

Stock transporter is good for the money and pretty close to the Ayre. The key to the transporter is how you store the file. You have to be very careful with the ripper and itunes. I store them uncompressed and it does make a difference.

To say the DAC's in the Ayre are much better than the transporter is not true. It's all in the output section. Why do you think you never see modded Ayre? It's because they did such a great job on the output section there is nothing more you can do to it. Can't say the same thing about the Esoteric players. If you ever heard the difference between the Modwright and the stock unit you would shake your head. Just by changing the output section transformed that to reference status, the two sound nothing alike.

The Marantz is very good and a different flavor over the Ayre. I would say it is between the Esoteric and the Ayre. I had the Esoteric X-01 Limted and didn't like it at all. I would chose all of the players above over the Esoteric. To relaxed and soft for me.

The Ayre C5 is better in every way of the C7.

The Modwright Transporter is KING. I sold my Emm Labs SE DAC and transport for the Modwright. It is that good...
Mtdking: Very interesting. Do you have the standard Modwright package, or the new, upgraded, Platinum option ($500 more)?

Just curious.

Also, can the modwright Transporter feed an amp directly? Or is a pre still required?