Speaker Stands Question

Hi All!

I'm in the market for speaker stands and wondering if there are any rules or guidelines to follow. I'll be using the Nola Boxer speaker.
Thanks, Pete
papostol
One method is to try with "virtual stands" first. Actually I am doing this now, since my main rig is down, I am trying out Audioengine A5+ active speakers that are in my house temporarily. Use a stiff chair or small table, and then a stack of heavy big books. Experiment with the height and position of the "stands". Now you will know what height your real stand should be. You may be able to get Target or similar solid heavy stand second hand, for a fair price. I have a pair at my cottage (working very well, beneath my Aurum Cantus speakers). If you look for sonic pleasure only (and you should), "heavy, solid and rigid" is what you want. I also note that many monitors like a bit of weight and damping on top, like a sand bag - bass gets more authoritative, etc - althoug it may not fit your preferences visually.
While I'm sure Nola has a suggested height for stands to be used with their speakers (my Micro References did), given the difference in the height of the chairs in which people listen I think O holter's advice is spot on. As a general rule, your ears should be at about the same height as the tweeters in the speakers, and a heavy, solid and rigid stand is usually preferable. Good luck; you've got a nice pair of speakers, enjoy them.
Talk to Noel at Skylan Speaker Stands... give him the Nola dimensions and he will make custom stands for you (about 350.00)
Assuming good build quality. The biggest difference will be with where the speaker is located and oriented vertically and also whether the stands couple to the floor acoustically or are isolated. Best choice will vary case by case room by room and listener to listener.
You want the tweeters the same height as your ears while sitting in your listening chair... go to Cardas speaker placement calculator site for help with placement