Original Quads (57) - the perfect amp

I am feeding my 57s with a Quad 303 and love the musicality of the pair. What’s an upgrade with more detail, air, instrument separation, yet same musicality?

Berning EA-230? Pass Labs Aleph 3? Others?

kracher

I sold my Bedini 25/25 about ten years ago. It needed the filter capacitors replaced, which the buyer was willing to do.

@OP The First Watt F8 works well.

But any quality power amp will need a decent preamp to go with it.

Depending on what you are using as a pre, it may be worth upgrading that before the 303 which, while not the last word in transparency, does work well with 57s.

If you have any DIY skills, consider these. I made half a dozen of them - and still use two of them in my HT, running Magnepan MMW. Clear, musical sound and dirt cheap. The better the parts, the better they sound.

https://sound-au.com/tcaas/jlhesl.htm

If the link doesn't work, Google  "J L Hood amp for Quad".

Near everyone goes for tubes with these, but a Sugden A21SE integrated or the Bedini will garner some very good results.  Both Class A.  The Bedini of course will be aged and suffer from degradation like any electronics.

The VTL Tiny Triodes were dynamite.  Very quick and musical with surprising bass control.  I love EL 84 based amps.  Best of luck in your search.