Is there a ceiling limit on what you are willing to pay for an audio component?

A very informative fellow on youtube reviews high end audio gear. He pays an insane amount of money on ampifiers, speakers and digital sources. He tells you what he thinks about quality, price, customer service and performance on such brands as Magico, Boulder, Wilson Audio and many others.

So here is the question. What are YOU willing to pay for a pair of speakers? An amplifier? A DAC or turntable setup? I am interested in what you WOULD PAY, not what you have paid in the past.

For me, I cannot see myself paying over $5K on speakers and likely not more that $3K on any other component.... even if I had the kind of money Elon Musk has. Am I crazy in saying that?

128x1282psyop

Wrong question.

I know I wouldn't spend £300,000 on a pair of speakers, however much I like their sound.  I probably wouldn't spend £100,000.  But I found their sound to be far, far better than the £25,000 speakers I have now I might do.  If they were better than that I might spend £120,000.

So there is no fixed ceiling for what I am prepared to spend.  Most people evaluate things in this manner, rather than fixing a ceiling.

This question depends on economic status not what one desires so it is a ridiculous question 

If you had even 10% of Elon's money, you (well, I) WOULD spend a fortune on audio gear if you love it. Why wouldn't you? Even if you were "only" worth $100 million, you could spend 2% of your net worth (even 1%) on a room and a system that would be nirvana...bliss. You say you wouldn't, but that would make you an aberration if you won the $100-500 million lotto. One's perspective changes with that kind of money, I believe.

Of course, maybe you'd choose to buy a yacht or private jet, and that will make a world-class hi-fi seem absolutely cheap in comparison! You don't need to hire a pilot or skipper to run your stereo for you. It won't cost you $10% of the cost of your stereo system just to crew, maintain, insure, and staff a stereo like it will a yacht. If your yacht is worth a mere $50 million, it will cost you $2-5 million a year just to maintain it before you ever leave the dock!

I always keep a short list of "lotto dream" hi-fi systems in my head. At my age, I don't dream of gorgeous nubile women anymore. One of those would just give me a heart attack or stroke, or my wife would kill me. 😂

It’s really more about would I want to buy... say ...$40k speakers, even if they sounded like heaven. I would not. Again no judgement on those who do... enjoy the sound!

@bigkidz

Given your level of expertise, I will accept what you’re saying, but isn’t the enjoyment of listening to music outside of the live venue the real goal, and not some absolute sound? Aren’t people capable of listening to different equipment and judging for themselves. I’m not saying that this will lead to the ultimate sound, or even something that would satisfy most people, but it only needs to satisfy the owner/listener.

Men have Hobbies....Boats , Cars , Guns , golf equipment , Etc...Etc.....Mine is 2 channel hi-fi......I think a $10K amp and $10 K speakers w/ $2500 in interconnects and cables...a $3500 DAC and a $2500 turntable w/ MC cart is going to get you 90% THERE.