McIntosh to Luxman?

Hey everybody. I need some advice.  It's fair to say I've lusted over Luxman equipment for a few years now.  Something about Japanese hifi that just gets me. Anyway, one of the online retailers of new and used equipment has a Luxman L-507uX (not the mark ii) for sale.  I do really like the sound from my hybrid MA252 integrated, and it drives my Maggie 1.7s with ease.  Most of my listening is of the streaming variety (Bludesound Node/Qobuz), and some vinyl (Music Hall MMF-5). 

Here's my question: what will the Luxman bring me that the McIntosh isn't providing?   More refinement?  More authoritative bass? Better soundstaging?  If the answer is yes, then I may pull the trigger on the Luxman.  By the way, I can get a nice trade-in on my McIntosh, so my out-of-pocket won't be too bad.    Please weigh-in if you've had both McIntosh and Luxman gear and what your experience with both brands has been.   Thanks in advance!   ~ Jerry

jrod68

It would be good if you could listen the the Luxman in your system before you decide. I own the Ma 352 which is the bigger brother to your amp. I can tell you there are attributes to my mac that I just like. I also have a Pass 250, Accuphase 380, Hegal 390. Yet I still enjoy my mac, and I miss no detail at all. In some cased I hear more detail then my Pass. 

Update…Luxman ordered.  😁 I’ll check back in a week or so. Thanks to everyone. 

~ Jerry

I've had Mcintosh separates (MC452/C2600) for few years and agree with everyone above. MAC is darker sounding with rolled off highs. It does have an amazing midrange and bass. I'm a classical guy and it wasn't enough detail in piano, totally rolled off, and other solo instruments sounded veiled. 

If you're going for Luxman, go for their Class A amps and nothing less. If you get anything less you may regret it and will be tempted to upgrade later. The 590 and 595 in particular were my favorite. These come as close to tube sound as possible without having tubes. Ultimately, I ended up with a powerful SET to drive my speakers. SET is the end game in hi end music. Period. 

Both Mac and Luxman are good gear.  I doubt you're going to hear significant differences.  Certainly not worth what it will cost you for the Luxman, plus the pain of selling off the Mac.  

Do you enjoy what you have now?  If so, be happy with it.

Me?  I wouldn't buy contemporary Mac gear as I don't think it's a good value.  Same with the current line of Luxman either.  

@russbutton There actually is a significant audible difference between McIntosh and Luxman.  The detail and soundstage of Luxman is superior to McIntosh.  Having owned McIntosh 1.25KW mono amps and demoed Luxman products you would be surprised at the differences.  Also, based on @jrod68 speakers he would notice an even bigger difference.  Check out Ohm's law and you will see that the Luxman goes much lower than the McIntosh. Hope this helps provide some color around the two products.