Parasound to Pass Upgrade

I’m considering “upgrading” from my Parasound JC-1s monos to the Pass Labs X260.8 mono blocks. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the performance differences I would expect? Thanks very much. 
Rob

taylorro

@decooney 

Re: tube preamps, there are still levels.

I have two tube preamps at home.

With Audio Research REF6, JC1+ sound 'average', restrained. With the same preamp, the Pass X260.8 sound magical.

Re: heat, there is not much difference between how warm JC1+ get vs X260.8. Perhaps, X260.8 gets 3-5 deg warmer. Never hot though.

@OP. Experience from an owner of JC1s and Pass XA60.8s - and familiar with the Class AB Pass's. I think its a worthwhile upgrade you are contemplating. But I would listen to the XAs as well as the Xs before making a decision. If your speakers are 4 ohm, you may not need as big a Pass amp as you think. I don't find the heat from the power amp to be objectionable and that's in a small room. However, I don't live in a hot climate so experiences will differ.

@reg19 Re: tube preamps, there are still levels.

I have two tube preamps at home.

With Audio Research REF6, JC1+ sound 'average', restrained. With the same preamp, the Pass X260.8 sound magical.

That's good intel since you've actually tried it. I wonder if that JC-1 favors some kind of particular output/input impedance match before it opens up.  Or, do you think it's just how the JC-1 is?  (while I don't own one, came close before doing something different instead). Nice to read your 260.8 experience, and its sound. 👍

@taylorro

I have the PS Audio BHK and the Pass Labs X260.8 mono amplifier (2)
I have owned the Pass Labs XA 100.5 and XA 100.2 amps.
I have not heard the Parasound JC-1 except at audio shows.  My memory says it was average good sounding.  I have not closely evaluated it under well controlled situations.

I can tell you about the X260.8.  After reading reviews of this amp, I traded my XA 100.5 and XA 100.2 amps for the upgrade.  I really liked the 2 -XA’s.  I was just persuaded that I would hear the difference in the upgrade and I had 30 days to return.  
I heard such a difference that I called the dealer, Reno HI-FI. I wanted to know why was there such a major difference in all of the audible characteristics of the music I was now hearing.  I pissed him off when I said that Pass Labs should be selling this mono at a lower price because the majority of people who listen to music, not audiophiles, will never be able to afford this and never know how wonderful music really can be.
I can find no flaws with the 260.8.  I can only listen to the music and truly enjoy it to a degree I never thought would be possible in my home.
Both amps only get slightly warm.