Audio Research Owners Worried?

Obviously we all should be nervous but thoughts? Ref75SE and LS28 owner but looking at the ARC for sale today YIKES!!!

Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

Not worried. I’ve owned only ARC amps and pre-amps since ‘87. I currently own a Ref75SE and a LS28SE. I’ve always had an excellent (albeit expensive) experiences with ARC service and ARC authorized service centers. 

I think it’s very likely that they will continue in some form or another. I might not buy any more gear from them but there’s a lot of money to be made on the service side. I’m confident that service will continue even if it’s only by the authorized service centers.

Anyone who is selling their ARC gear on this news probably did the same with their 401k when the marked tanked. Patience is a virtue.

RHG3 did you have your LS28 upgraded to the SE or buy it as an SE? Curious to know the differences between both?

There are multiple threads going around indicating that Audio Research has filed for bankruptcy. 

To my way of thinking, I think the only thing an ARC owner would have to worry about are proprietary parts. For example, early CD players and Analogue Modules that you can't get anymore. And likely the new ghost displays. With the schematics however, I suspect a good tech would be able to troubleshoot and repair just about anything.

When the PS went on my SP3a a while back, I found a good shop in OR who did a really nice job on it. 

I feel for their longtime employees, vendors and suppliers though. 

I read someplace (Fb?) that their CEO was "relieved of his duties". 

Happy (and cautious) listening...

Dealers were notified last week.  Most companies fail because of sales. How many units do you think they were selling?  The high end market as we know it is almost completely gone. Counterpoint sold 10,000 units and failed.  Look at the prices of some equipment compared to upgrading those units. Much better to upgrade then to buy new.  That's why we do repairs and upgrades and modifications. The values may drop but the units can be repaired.  Another company may buy them but there is no guarantee they will continue on especially with passion.

FYI proprietary parts do not always mean what you think they are.  Only time we need a schematic is when the pat values are not marked.  My partner has a Masters Degree in electronic design and to date he has been able to repair most anything sent to us for repair.  Designs are not new, and circuits can be repaired. 

I would not be concerned as we can repair and upgrade your ARC equipment and are way more reasonable then ARC was.