Single driver speakers without the pitfalls?

In researching SET amps, I have learned a lot more about the sort of high efficiency speakers that they are typically paired with, including single driver models like Omega, Blumenstein, Teresonic, etc.
The advantages of these designs are well acknowledged: coherence, imaging, high-efficiency and so forth.
At the same time, there seem to be equally well acknowledged drawbacks to these designs: Limited bass response, rolled off highs, and a harshness or "shout" in the upper midrange.
Some designers, like Tekton and Zu, seem to take the approach of getting the best of all worlds by joining a wide range driver to a tweeter of some sort. (To some extent, my Reference 3AM De Capo monitors take this approach.)
What I'm curious to learn is whether you think there are any single driver, full range systems that transcend the above limitations.
Eager to hear your thoughts.
rebbi
They do buzz. That's how they "attempt" to get high frequencies. Resonance, not signal.

AM radio is a great comparison.

Most of those threads are right on.

I thought the Voxactiv might have something after I read about them. How did they overcome the problems, I wondered, after reading. They I heard them. Then again in another setup. Then another setup.

I hear lots of distortion above 2k. Buzzing. Like a "humazoo". Or a kazoo. I can't see anyone how knows the sound of real music not noticing the bad things these do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTd3zcU--Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oau9gtG5Om8
Rebbi,

I am not sure you are going to find a single driver speaker that gives you the magic that your deCappos do. I went down that rabbit hole years ago and didn't like what I heard.

Shakey
Take a look at This primer on how speakers work. It helps me to actually visualize why conventional full range pistonic drivers might not be such a great idea from a distortion perspective. Bending wave Walsh drivers are much better suited IMHO.

Its truly incredible that speakers work as well as they do. Turntables too. Both have the laws of physics surrounding mass and inertia working against them. Not so much a concern with digital, amps, etc. Different physics at work there revolving solely around electricity (no moving parts) that are probably easier to overcome with technology over time in general.
Shakey,
I'm not really in the market for a single driver speaker; too many limitations and negatives. But I think that the wide-range + tweeter approach is a good one. That's essentially what my De Capo's and the various Tekton models seem to so. You get that coherence with the crossover out of the midrange's way, but you're not asking the main driver to do more than it can physically accomplish in the high end.
This thread led me to a question that may or may not have an easy answer. Under which scenario is a driver (lets say 7inch) being asked to do more:

1.) Run from about 45 to 5,000 hz
2.) Run from about 65 to 14,000 hz

I'm not sure what taxes a driver more: trying to produce a 45 and 5k hz signal at the same time or a 65 and 14k signal.

Probably not an easy answer for this but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be curious.