Is it possible for a high end manufacturer to overprice their goods?

Having just read the interesting and hyperbole laden review by RH of the new Rockport Orion speakers in the latest issue of The Absolute Sound, one thing struck me..

is it possible in the high end for a manufacturer to overprice their product ( doesn’t have to be a speaker, but this example comes to mind)? I ask this, as the Orion is priced at $133k! Yes,a price that would probably make 99% of hobbyists squirm. Yet, the speaker now joins a number of competitors that are in the $100k realm. 
To that, this particular speaker stands just 50.3” tall and is just 14.3” wide…with one 13” woofer, one 7” midrange and a 1.25” beryllium dome ( which these days is nothing special at all…and could potentially lead to the nasties of beryllium bite).

The question is…given this speakers design and parts, which may or may not be SOTA, is it possible that this is just another overpriced product that will not sell, or is it like others, correctly priced for its target market? Thoughts…

128x128daveyf

They’re servicing the nouveau riche. Why have to entertain hundreds or thousands of whining customers and complex distribution networks with tight margins when you can sell to a select few and make a killing?

I've seen dealer price lists from "high end audio" manufacturers.

Particular segments have REALLY high markup, that doesn't seem to faze customers.

Also have been exposed to the wholesale end of other high end consumer products. Nothing shocking comparing "high end audio" to other luxury products.

Consumers with wide wallets will pay.

Of course! They price them as high as they can get away with...meaning there is always some sucker willing to pay their high price.

Someone is buying a $133k speaker while someone else is living in a cardboard box.

And some are eating fillet mignon and others are eating a hot dog. So what does that have to do with the topic? 

the only thing "high end" about those products is often the name.

The only Hi-end audio company is the Wavetouch audio. Everything else are Hi-Fi. They all are simply unlistenable to me. I watched few 2023 Axpona videos and my ears are in serious pain. My ears are much better after I listen WTPC video for few minutes. Alex/Wavetouch