Thinking of Magnepan ... finally!

Until recently, most of my amps have been tube-based with the exception of a few great SS integrateds thrown into the mix for fun. That's probably the main reason I have stayed away from Magnepans (or other speakers of its ilk) thus far. Now that I have an Aavik U-280 integrated amp that can do 300 watts @ 8 ohms and doubles to 600 @ 4, I would love to scratch that itch finally. Keep in mind that I do not intend to get rid of my other speakers (Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene, Harbeth SHL5+, Fritz Carrera BE) since I love them all for different reasons. The Magnepans will be rotated in the main listening room with Joseph Audio Perspectives. One thing I like about Maggies is that they are relatively lightweight so I can move them to the closet without breaking my back when not in rotation.

Since I've never owned Magnepans before, I have a ton of questions and doubts. So here we go ...

Bass (or the lack thereof) -- I've been told that the Magnepans are very light on bass and definitely require at least on subwoofer. Is this true in all cases? Anyone using them without subs and happy with the performance? TBH, I really would prefer that I don't use subs but not set in stone for sure.

Breathing Room -- my room is 20' x 15' with 12 foot ceilings. The speakers will be placed along the short wall (15'). I can pull them out by about 4.5 feet from the front wall and 3 feet from the side walls. Seating distance will be approximately 8 - 9 feet. Is this good enough or do you think more distance, especially from the front wall, is required to truly enjoy the speakers?

Mods -- I've also heard that the stock components (crossovers, fuses, etc.) and stands are suboptimal. Is this true? If so, what are the minimum requirements to bring the speaker to a higher standard and at what cost? 

Value -- For someone who is just starting out with Maggies, which model is a good entry point? I know that LRS+ is a good value, but my other speakers are very very good, so I want to do justice to the Maggies as well. But at the same time I don't want to spend more than I need to. Where do you think the sweet spot lies, i.e. which model(s)? I will be looking for used only since I've already spent way too much on other speakers.

Imaging -- I've also been told that imaging on Maggies is not that great. I have never heard Maggies before so I have no idea if this assertion is true or not. Your thoughts?

And finally, I want to hear from folks who love their Maggies. What is that you love most about the speakers? What qualities do they bring to the table that no other speaker does? Are there magnetic planar speakers from other brands that I should also be considering? Keep in mind they have to be readily available in the used market. So please don't suggest something that doesn't meet this requirement.

However, to bring some balance to the feedback, I would also love to hear from those who tried Magnepans and moved on to something else. Why? What was it that you didn't like about them? What did you move on to?

Thanks in advance and a sincere request: Please keep it civil ... no need for haters of Magnepan to use this as an opportunity to diss the brand.

128x128arafiq

I owned two maggies in the past the last one was the Manepan IIIa. They do require a powerful amp that is very stable all the way to 2 ohms to make them sing properly. Once they are set up properly you'll be rewarded with a wide and deep soundstage that goes beyond the side and front walls. What I love about them is you can practically place them very close to the side wall and it won't affect the soundstage given that you give it ample space from the front wall to breathe properly.

The only minor pet peeve I have with them is that if you move your head from your optimal listening position in your listening chair the soundstage tends to collapse. Other than that these are excellent speakers as long as you feed them with proper ancillary equipment.

Anyway, a friend just bought a brand new 20.7 model that he waited patiently for at least 3 months before it was delivered to him. I was floored by how good they are when I listen to them for the very first time. The very first thing I noticed was their uncanny ability to disappear in the listening room and if you give it more power the whole listening room disappears that's how good these speakers are. 

I sold them in my shop when they were new and still have my Tympani I-C’s working perfectly.

If you set them up properly IN YOUR ROOM, you will never hear a more accurate speaker. ARC gear makes them sing, but whatever you like is probably going to be OK. I DO suggest an ARC pre-amp, and a NEW one is not required. I still use my SP-6B and have no issues with it.

Welcome to the world of accurate music reproduction (yes, I am very biased!)

SUGGESTION:  Try "Diamonds and Rust" for a nice demo...

Cheers!

I have a pair of .7’s, wanted to try their sound. Very nice with my Threshold SA/4e or my S500II. Small room-good sound.  14 X 14 feet-took some placement time and room treatment (LEGO)! Ha!

i think one of the most instructive things about this thread of @arafiq’s is the sheer number of magnepan supporters who have chimed in with their enthusiasm and suggestions for proper use ... owners old and new, of maggies old and new, the vast majority expressing their delight

in a forum where there are usually vastly differing opinions, widely varying suggestions, frequently diametrically opposite recommendations (topping d90 dac vs mhdt tubed dac, for instance, in another current thread, lol)... the sheer number of happy owners and supporters standing to be counted, many of whom are long tenured yet rarely post, speaks amply of the quality and value of this line of speakers 👍

I've read all the posts here and the statement that rings most true is from:

secretguy: As a long time Maggie user, I can say that much of what is said about them, at best, exaggerates their supposed "weaknesses".

Based on the prices of your other speakers, I'd recommend the 3.7i's.  Smaller models are great, but your room is more than ample.  Mine are in a room that is 13 x 16 and located 4 feet off the front wall on the narrow end with the back of the room open to the next level.  Quality power is key.  Other comments say they have less interaction with side walls which I've found to be very true - the imaging I've attained is fabulous and extends beyond the outer walls - and mine are within a foot of either side wall!  As with any speaker, placement is key with reasonable treatments for the room.  I run a sub and integrated properly quite literally "disappears".  Mods?  Decide that once you've used them a while, I've never tried any and really don't want to mess with the unbelievable sound I am getting.  I've heard many quality systems and have never been disappointed in what I've put together.  Have fun - I'd go for it!