Is soundstage DEPTH a myth?

Ok, help me out fellas. Is it a myth or what?

I’m a good listener, I listen deep into the music, and I feel like I have good ears. But I can’t confirm that I can hear soundstage depth. I can hear 1 instrument is louder, but this doesn’t help me to tell if something is more forward or more behind. Even in real life and 2 people are talking, I can’t honestly say I know which one is in front.

The one behind will sound less loud, but is that all there is to soundstage depth? I think the answer I’m looking for has to do with something I read recently. Something about depth exist only in the center in most system, the good systems has depth all around the soundstage.

128x128samureyex

My exposure to "image" or "Soundstage" has mostly been achieved through the development of high performance cables.

I thought I had a reasonable image, but as my cables developed and became more refined, so did the overall quality of my image.

• details that were never there before, such as the micro details of the venue acoustics (tiny echoes and reverberations), which provided a more holographic and realistic presentation
  • an improved isolation of instruments
  • more seperation (air) between performers
  • greater front to back seperation

All of this was achived by building cables that

• used the best quality wire, like OCC copper and OCC silver
    • which improved details and dynamics
  • use the best dielectric available
    • which improved clarity and details
    • and lowered internally generated noise
  • advanced cable geometry
    • which again lowered the noise floor of the cable
  • excellent connectors

And you need to address ALL CABLES in a system, not just interconnects OR speakers cables - Mains cables play a huge role, especially on source components.

If DIY is not your thing, take a look at these cable brands, which adopt many of the design priciples mentioned above

• Audio Envy - great Bang for the Buck
  • Zavfino - their TOTL cables are very good
  • InAkustik - top perfrmers
  • HIJIRI - perhaps the best cables on the market, but pricey
  • There ar many more, but you have to know what to look for

Once I had my cables sorted, the image fell into place on live performances and also studio recordings that are impecably engineered

Until you get the cables sorted you are wasting your money chasing component upgrades and room treatments.

My system is modest...

• Bryston B135 interated amp
  • Bluesound Node 2 streamer
  • Simaudio Moon Phono stage
  • Custom Turntable with Denon 103 (with Soundsmith Mods)
  • Gershman Acoustics

But it has a more holograpohic 3D presentation that I have not even heard from the most pricey systems in high end audio stores.

BTY, I also have a $300 minisystem outfitted with great cables that also has an amazing sound - so it’s not all about a component’s price

Just something else in this hobby to ponder

Regards - Steve

My own take on this is that system quality and how well it is set up really figures into how well it does the imaging.  That doesn't mean the system has to be real pricey.  I have heard mid line British speakers do the imaging thing fantastically playing classical music, but as others have said the other big thing is how well the recording is done.

Once again: 

The LEDR test I mentioned in my first post was created (scientifically generated) to eliminate all variables, as regards the source material used, when testing your system for sound stage width and depth reproduction.

If your system doesn't reproduce (or- you can't perceive) what's in the media: it's NOT because the effects are a, "myth" (or any other of your excuses/obfuscations).

I've never heard any perception of front-back depth while listening through earphones. To be sure, I've heard plenty of left-to-right and in-phase/out-of-phase trickery with headphones, but that's about it.

I hear so much depth in my house of stereo, it's there, 100% real. The acoustic treatment and speaker positioning probably have most to do with it, but EVERYTHING does matter.