Are audiophile products designed to initially impress then fatigue to make you upgrade?

If not why are many hardly using the systems they assembled, why are so many upgrading fairly new gear that’s fully working? Seems to me many are designed to impress reviewers, show-goers, short-term listeners, and on the sales floor but once in a home system, in the long run, they fatigue users fail to engage and make you feel something is missing so back you go with piles of cash.

128x128johnk

First CD player in our family was a $1300 Hitachi, 1985-ish. ~$3800 in todays money. Lasted over 10 years, then we lost track of it after gifting it to a friend. 

@kenjit Wrote:

Cd players used to be built to last a lifetime and the ones that were built in the 70's are still sought after for that reason. 

That's funny! 🤣

Mike

No listeners are swayed by audiophile products that initially impress esp during a 1hr demo then the buyer has regret as they realise that the sound that grabbed them grates after more extended listening.

They hope the product will burn in and sometimes the ears develop to accept the sound but most of the time the buyer listens with a what if...?

So not design of the product but more the frail human mind.

@richdirector     You are along the right track!  The effect of being bored with the sound is nothing to do with the manufacturer, still less any intent to deceive.  We simply get bored with the sound of our equipment.  It familiarises.  It doesn't excite us for long.  No different from starting with a new woman.  At the beginning, it's all thrills.  But the excitement soon wears off.  It's a human failing.  Thank goodness it's way cheaper to replace hi-fi kit than wives.

@invalid     Krell launched its first product, the KSA 100, in 1982, so it's 41 years old now.  Yes,  I have had my KRS 200s fully serviced, mainly replacing all capacitors.  Still going strong.  Very.

bigtwin, you hit the nail on the head! I'll add to it; The only thing worse than not being able to find that elusive LP is finding it! The thrill is in the hunt.