Bose 901 VI flat?

I purchased a pair of Bose 901 VI speakers recently and a new Sony STRDH190 receiver.  I have wanted these speakers for years and finally got them.  Problem is, they sound flat and weaker than expected.  I adjusted the bass and treble to my liking but that only helped a little.  I have the Bose EQ that came with the speakers but i'm not using it due to new receiver technology.  Am i doing something wrong? I know these are great speakers with a great history.  

jonicurn

All responses to use the dedicated Bose EQ are primary. Also, to incorporate the EQ into the existing electronics is the first step. Since these speakers aren't capable of critical music listening to average ears, everyone has their own priority as to what they want.

Had a friend who had a very large house and entertained often. Had a large room that he used for entertaining guests at parties and such. In that room he had a pair of 901s suspended from the ceiling with chains. Purpose was to provide background music for his guests. Worked well for that. Of course he had his serious system elsewhere.

All this stuff is complex and the end game is what suits the user. Some like  what they have and others always want to constantly improve  theirs no matter how good it already is. Kinda like a hobby.

@jonicurn

There was something that attached you to these speakers at some point. Only YOU know what that is. We service vintage audio gear and have had many 901s and/or associated gear come into our shop. Typically the owners are VERY happy with their 901s. If I were to offer to substitute a highly regarded "audiophile" speaker worth many times to price of their 901s, I’d get flatly rejected.

I agree with @stringreen ’s suggestion about property set up. It would also be good to know what sources you are listening to.

The description of "flat" sound can mean a lot of things. In my world "flat" would mean "lifeless". The best "audiophile description" I could offer would be a lack of dynamic contrast. We want the percussion to sound "live" when the drumsticks meets the sheepskins, the lead guitar to be pushed forward, and the vocals to be up close and personal. There are many elements in the music chain that can squish dynamics. Having a high watts amp/receiver is helpful, but "loud" is just "loud" if dynamics are compressed. Modern low-priced receivers don’t have alot going for them in this department. They force all the signals thru DSP processing (even when you are listening "flat") and "chip amps" designed for low cost are not noted for their musicality. So, I’d start with a good totally analog receiver/amp. The more power the better, but I’d inject that the right 50wpc receiver will sound better than the wrong 100wpc receiver. Your sources, cabling, etc also matter.

Only then will you know if the sound of 901s is still appealing to you.

Wow! I have never received so much help and advice from any forum ever!  This has been so helpful (every response).  So i sent the new receiver back to amazon and went on the search for and old receiver capable of not only pushing these speakers properly but also having a tape monitor loop to utilize the bose eq.  I found an old Sony HP-318 that had tape loop connections.  What a difference!  I'm sure i don't have the ears you guys have but im now very happy with my setup.  Many, many thanks.  jonathan

@russ69 +1

OP I hate to burst your bubble (again), but...I've owned them. Brand new back in the early 80's around the time Hitachi launched one of the first CD players and Dire Straights released one of the first DDD CDs, Brothers in Arms. They were really expensive.

901s are designed to work with the EQ period. But it's weak "science". The bass is "fake" for lack of a better term.

BOSE is a very good marketing company. 

jonicurn

Wow! I have never received so much help and advice from any forum ever! This has been so helpful ... i don’t have the ears you guys have but im now very happy with my setup

Ignore those who don’t like your speakers. You’re happy and that’s what counts!