Used vs. new

I am struggling with the decision of buying B&W 804 D4 or an older model like the 802 /803 D3 . I have the same issue with automobiles too.but  for now we can stick to the issue of speakers.

geosims1

@geosims1 The Stereophile review of the 804 d4

states that although the nominal impedance is 8ohm, the minimum impedance is 3ohm, so you’d you’d probably want to drive them with an amp that is 4ohm rated with a fair bit of current on tap, i.e. comes near to doubling it’s output when the impedance of the load is halved. 

I’ve had great success purchasing used.  I have two systems,95% of my gear is used.   I’m happy with the choices I’ve made.  

Might change weekly what my favorite system is but currently street MSRP would be 12k. I have under 2k into it. Love it! All great condition and could make money on it any day. 

I’ve never bought a piece Ive had a big issue with. Speakers are especially an easy recommend as long as the cabinets are not all beat up.

I would go for the 802s.

I have been fortunate with my used equipment purchases, especially here on A-gon where I found a power amp and blueray player in great shape for reasonable $$$. In the past I always bought new and came around slowly to the idea of used gear.

Although, my Synchrony Ones were had for nearly half of what they originally cost, they were purchased used from a local PSB dealer who promised help if I needed service or warranty assistance. Also, I’ve had some bad luck shipping turntables and would be gun-shy about shipping speakers. A vote for local pickup or local dealer.

Finally, someone mentioned Axpona. Hi-Fi shows can be a great opportunity to hear a lot of different gear and to learn about all kinds of stuff. I would highly recommend a visit to a regional audio show. Make a day of it, or even a weekend. Hearing one great system after another opens your eyes (and ears) to what is possible. Your initial experience with B&W was impactful.
Imagine repeating that a dozen or more times in an afternoon.

Buying used has saved me from losing money on speakers that didn't fit my room, or needed better power than I could afford at the time to make them sing. Now I have a very good sounding system half used half new that sounds and looks amazing, but I did end up reselling 5-6 pair of hi-end speakers b4 getting the sound I was looking for.