Used vs. new

I am struggling with the decision of buying B&W 804 D4 or an older model like the 802 /803 D3 . I have the same issue with automobiles too.but  for now we can stick to the issue of speakers.

geosims1

The 804D is not near as good to my ear as the 802D3. The bass output and slam is not even close. Mids are more open on the 802D3 too. The 803D3 always lacked bass to my ear however. 

now I did not really hear the port noise but the measurements of the 804d4 shows silly amounts of port noise and I am sure it will show up if played loud enough. 

I'm a big fan of used to afford something otherwise unaffordable, or if new not really better, just new thus cost more.

Features are important to me, often vintage overhauled is better than new for me.

I am not a fan of compromise, if you think the new speakers sound better, you will come to regret it and that regret will last a long time.

Cost of shipping speakers is high, so ask more questions, and for more photos. How old, i.e. woofer suspension need replacing?

Returns accepted, however, paying for shipping in and back ain't cheap.

Maybe be patient, find some local pick up.

I've and about 50% good luck buying used loudspeakers. If it's a system you are going to keep for a long time, buy a fresh pair.