How to test speaker cables by ChatGPT

I asked ChatGPT how I should go about testing "audiophile speaker cables", the response below. Not wrong.

There are different ways to test audiophile speaker cables, but here are some general steps you can follow:

1. Set up your testing environment: You’ll need a testing device (such as a multimeter) and a testing signal source (such as an amplifier or an audio player). Connect your cables to your testing device and the signal source.

2. Test for continuity: Use a multimeter to check if there is continuity in the cables. This will confirm that the conductors are not broken and that the connectors are properly connected.

3. Test for resistance: Measure the resistance of the cables using a multimeter. The resistance should be low, typically less than 0.1 ohm per meter. Higher resistance can cause a loss of signal or affect the frequency response.

4. Test for capacitance: Measure the capacitance of the cables using a capacitance meter. The capacitance should be low, typically less than 100 picofarads per meter. Higher capacitance can cause signal loss or distortion.

5. Test for frequency response: Connect your cables to a speaker and play a frequency sweep from your signal source. Use an oscilloscope or a frequency analyzer to check the frequency response of the cables. A good cable should not alter the frequency response significantly.

6. Listen for sound quality: Finally, use your ears to listen to the sound quality of your system with the tested cables. Compare the sound to a reference system with known good cables. If there is no significant difference, your cables are likely performing well.

zlone

@vonhelmholtz     The aliens have reported plenty of unintelligent life on Earth.

@raysmtb1      Doesn't the manufacturer of your pre-amp published frequency response figures?   Do you think they're lying?

The factory figures for my Audio Research Ref 6 are 0.4Hz–200kHz, +0/–3dB at rated output.  In case you think AR are lying, John Atkinson's results into 100 ohms are -0.05 dB (yes really) at 10Hz and -1.5dB at 200kHz.  That's down just one-twentieth of a dB at 10Hz.  Boom boom.

I think this will be all the bass you need.

That’s hilarious!

I wonder what its response will be a year from now? Five years from now and ten years from now when our AI Overlords have taken over the world?

😁