How to test speaker cables by ChatGPT

I asked ChatGPT how I should go about testing "audiophile speaker cables", the response below. Not wrong.

There are different ways to test audiophile speaker cables, but here are some general steps you can follow:

1. Set up your testing environment: You’ll need a testing device (such as a multimeter) and a testing signal source (such as an amplifier or an audio player). Connect your cables to your testing device and the signal source.

2. Test for continuity: Use a multimeter to check if there is continuity in the cables. This will confirm that the conductors are not broken and that the connectors are properly connected.

3. Test for resistance: Measure the resistance of the cables using a multimeter. The resistance should be low, typically less than 0.1 ohm per meter. Higher resistance can cause a loss of signal or affect the frequency response.

4. Test for capacitance: Measure the capacitance of the cables using a capacitance meter. The capacitance should be low, typically less than 100 picofarads per meter. Higher capacitance can cause signal loss or distortion.

5. Test for frequency response: Connect your cables to a speaker and play a frequency sweep from your signal source. Use an oscilloscope or a frequency analyzer to check the frequency response of the cables. A good cable should not alter the frequency response significantly.

6. Listen for sound quality: Finally, use your ears to listen to the sound quality of your system with the tested cables. Compare the sound to a reference system with known good cables. If there is no significant difference, your cables are likely performing well.

zlone
Post removed 

@zlone - How does ChatGPT test for the following aspects of a cable ?

• dynamic performance
  • clarity and details
  • noise floor
  • imaging

There was no mention of

• conductivity - the type of metals used
  • dielectric constant - the type of insulation used
  • cable geometry - which lowers noise floor
  • types of connector - e.g. silver plated copper, beryllium copper, brass , banana, spade etc...

These are all very important aspects of cable design and performance

To explain further - take a look at this post and it will explain in more detail what goes into making state of the art cables

What I Have Found Makes A Good Cable

BTW: Many Cardas cable owners would have have an issue with ...

Test for capacitance: Measure the capacitance of the cables using a capacitance meter. The capacitance should be low, typically less than 100 picofarads per meter. Higher capacitance can cause signal loss or distortion.

Cardas TOTL speaker cables have very high capacitance, but they perform very well

I could probably line up several very good sounding cables and one very bad sounding cable and they would all have similar measurements based on the ChatGPT process - so for me - I’ll take a pass on this particular process

I do agree with

Listen for sound quality: Finally, use your ears to listen to the sound quality of your system with the tested cables.

Most peoples ears can tell them far more about a cable than any meter can

However...

Compare the sound to a reference system with known good cables. If there is no significant difference, your cables are likely performing well.

Granted, familiarising yourself with a good reference system is a good idea, but trying to compare that system to your own would be very difficult due to room anomolies, and the diferences in component selection

Here are a couple of brands of cable (amongst many) that are good "performers"

• Audio Envy
  • Zavfino

Regards - Steve

I would think dynamic performance, clarity and details, noise floor, imaging was mentioned…. Listening dah !! And who cares what they’re made of ? Whatever spec tests are done along with finding something that sounds good to you, is really all that matters. More name dropping please….Not 🤪