PS Audio Direct Stream MK2 DAC

While researching the PS Audio Direct Stream MK2 DAC on the PSA Forum, I came across this:

"Regarding “hum,” Ted said: “ You had the opportunity to return your device if it was wasn’t acceptable. I don’t know how one could claim to have been screwed…….”

Not only that, this “hum” was a known feature, as it was discussed early and often in the beta thread. Paul even went so far as to claim every component PSA has ever produced (or at least, every component on his shelf) has this hum."

Further, Ted himself says:

"The hum is coming from the piezoelectric response from a few critical capacitors in the power supply. The device was designed with a component that wouldn’t cause this problem, but supply chain problems forced us to design in a slightly older version of the part which caused the hum. Unfortunately, the new and old parts aren’t footprint compatible, so we’re stuck with the older version for a while even when the newer parts become available again."

Ted is Ted Smith, the" Chief Digital Dude" at PS Audio.

Question to all PSA DS MK2 DAC owners, do you hear a hum?

All in all, do you think it would be better to wait for a while until the problem sorts itself out - OR - is it "much ado about nothing" and I should just go ahead and get the PSA DAC?

I am leaning towards waiting .... But I am interested to hear your views too.

128x128dcpillai

I've had my Mk 2 DAC for over a month. It is completely silent mechanically and electrically. It sounds fantastic, and I got $3500 credit by trading in my Mk 1. A no-brainer really, and I'm looking forward to the free firmware upgrades to come over the years I will own it.

@audioman58  No one mentioned or described the Hz of the hum. It's unlikely a 60 Hz one, which is a bass hum and is in my experience commonly the result of a bad cable connection. I assume the discussion is about a 120 Hz hum, the kind one gets with a bad component or ground loop.

I've had mine for more than a week, it is quiet and glitch free..and sounds great...