Are you interested in the new generation of "old school" design loudspeakers?

So is Danny Richie of GR Research. Though known for his open baffle loudspeaker and subwoofer designs, as well as narrow baffle sealed loudspeakers, Danny has received in for analysis and possible upgrades a number of the new "old school" design loudspeakers that have been recently introduced by the likes of KLH. Being a good businessman, he obviously realized he could offer his own version of such a design, free of the "problems" he found in those of others.

In this 30 minute video Danny discusses the design of his newest offering: the "Brute". Even if you’re not interested in this specific topic, you may find the video of value in general loudspeaker terms. He has made many other videos, all addressing either a specific topic, or a specific loudspeaker. There are easy to find: Go onto YouTube and do a search for GR Research.

To dispel any suspicions, no, I am in no way affiliated with Danny Richie and/or GR Research, other than being a very satisfied customer.

128x128bdp24

OLD STYLE!

As many of you know, I am a fan of level controls, as most vintage speakers came with.

So, I immediately checked, and the KLH Model 5 comes with a 3 position Acoustic Balance Switch. It is preset for: ’normal’, ’live’; very live’ (no position for dull).

download manual here:

Pre-set positions control the changes equally, so balance between L & R is easily maintained, however pre-set limits the changes you can make for your individual space.

Both my Electro-Voice and Acoustic Research AR-2ax come with 2 level controls: L-Pads, Changes relative to the unchanged woofer: 1 for the mid and 1 for the tweeter. Each: Center is normal; up any amount for dull rooms/down any amount for live rooms.

Using L=Pads with no pre-positioning, you have to work hard to get the L & R to match. SPL meter with test tones helps, then your ears on very familiar content with excellent imaging.

Independent L and R, and freely adjustable can help with irregular spaces

Klipsch Heritage and JBL Synthesis speakers are unbelievably realistic sounding and dynamic.  Get a decent amp and an EQ and you will be in heaven.  

Danny says it's his favorite speaker, but then, he would have to say that unless he really means it. All kidding aside, I'm all in favor of the old school look and approach. The major downside (if you can call it that) is the music sounds like it's coming straight out from the front plane of the speakers and to negate that somewhat, you need to sit back a good distance. That, and it helps with driver integration. You can still get decent stage depth even when sitting close.

It never bothered me with my JBL 4319 monitors as the scale and impact simply can't be done with smaller drivers. Smaller drivers can get as loud but there's more to it than SPL. There's an ease to the sound that's so convincing and addictive with larger drivers.

The only reason I went to a smaller monitor was that the JBLs overloaded my smallish room.

All the best,
Nonoise

I am really pleased with my Yamaha NS-5000 speakers.  Inside the speaker is a lot of cutting edge engineering, despite the old school looks.  They image much better than the much slimmer KEFs they replaced, so I see no downside of having a large baffle.

Interesting how any wide front baffle 3-way is now considered by some as "old school". Sounds like old is new again.