Passion, or ..... Precision?

Hi Guys, 

In the last 2 years I have finally built what I consider to be a fairly decent System. Namely, DCS Bartok, BHK 300 mono's and KEF Ref 5 Speakers. With the introduction of Qobuz, which is all I listen to now, I find myself searching out artists or tracks that sound amazing on my rig. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and find something I really like that also sounds amazing. Streaming is brilliant for this. However, when I revert back to the music that evokes the passion in me I find that it tends to be of poorer recording quality. I'm 58 now and grew up with the 70's/80's Heavy Rock scene with bands like Sabbath, Ozzy, Rainbow, Lizzy and my beloved Status Quo etc. Their early material just doesn't 'cut it' on a high end system (IMO) and I find it more fatiguing to listen to. Modern technology and attention to detail in the recording studio has really dated some of my favourite bands to the point I find it harder to listen to them.

Does anybody else share this experience?

cheers, Mark

128x128markprice

Yes a good system can be very revealing and rewarding at the same time. Perhaps there’s a synergy problem somewhere in your system but more than likely it’s the recordings. I’ve had the same problem but either I move on or find another recording of the same music that sounds better ie: digital is a great format for that. I have found vinyl can be very inconsistent in sound quality. I previously found that with cds until I started ripping them. The only advice I can offer is to keep trying, and I think we’ve all been in that same boat a time or two. I can tell you your system really makes a difference, as I’ve improved mine over time with better components and ones that pair together better things sound more consistent. Good luck. 

I’ve the same issue but find I’ve an entire collection of great sounding music I can now listen to!  The trick may be to find some current recordings with a similar rock content to that which we grew up with.  Evanescence has some decent studio recordings (there are certainly better) and a high rock quality!  Also try TOOL’s Pneuma and Ployphia “playing god” those are favorites for me when I want to Rock!

@kingbr - agree about Steve Harris, and a wonderful songwriter as well. Those early Maiden albums sounded awful on CD when they first came out in the 80's (though I still enjoyed the music), but the redone ones are great! 👍

As for somebody quoting somebody saying 'audiophiles use their music to listen to their systems', well, in some cases, sure, as they say, but it's sure never been true for me. Anybody can say anything. 

The pre-apex Bartok is rather analytical sounding - probably not the best match for the choice of listening material.

The idea of having a second set of speakers does make sense.

I really enjoy Chicago Blues Music and there is no better encounter that when I hear the sound produced from a Cheap Tannoy Speaker.

On the ESL Speakers it sounds great, but does not have the perception of the atmosphere, that adds to the attraction.

When I extend the experience using the Tannoy Speakers to Live Rock, the same levels of enjoyment are created.

Would I demonstrate using the Tannoy, no, that is for the likes of the ESL.

The Tannoy just delivers a flavour that evokes embedded memories of past experiences.