Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

@svenjosh I’ve had mixed results with dongles…from bad to mediocre to “I guess thats ok for when we have company” but I havent tried many.  

@gents its going to be ok. Exhale….Reminds me of when I was in college and someone jumps in the middle of a bar fight without knowing which side did what or why. I still can imagine there was simply a miscommunication/misunderstanding. 

svenjosh

You made me laugh. In retrospect, I would’ve just negotiated that price down because that was way too much. No need for a slap. There’s nothing wrong with paying/tipping someone to help you out. The way I see it, I save a lot of money getting it right with an honest home audition. I paid 2 restocking fees this year on DACs and it was pretty well worth it because I paid a little less than what I was going to lose on reselling a full priced mistake (most of us have done that) and reduced my suffering time.

Gents nothing wrong giving good tips it’s honorable, in fact if we don’t share our blessings we are just as good as broke? I applaud you. But OP situation is so different from the dealer? Will I pay $650 . No.

Gents do you know this dealer? maybe He is just having a busy day when He dealt with the OP,