Jim Gordon has Passed On...

He was never released from custody after murdering his mother. He'll be remembered best for being the drummer with Derek and the Dominos, but he played with the Byrds, Beach Boys and others. I know that you're wearing black today @bdp24. Sad ending. 

128x128roxy54

Great story bdp24. So sad to hear another of the great R&R drummers of that era passing on. Keith Moon, Charlie Watts, and John Bonham immediately come to mind. Like others, I’d no idea of his psych history and incarceration for killing his mother.

I’m sitting here thinking about that aspect, Back in the 1980’s I spent ten years working on and supervising Corrections psychiatric treatment and admissions units. Sadly his story would not sound unusual in that setting. I know nothing about the particulars of his case but wonder how much substance abuse contributed to his psychoses.

Typically schizophrenia manifests itself on it’s own in the late teenage, maybe early twenties years. Just a speculation, but Jim Gordon’s skill level as a drummer gets me to thinking he might have induced his psychosis later in life using drugs, well after his skill as a drummer had had a chance to fully develop. I understand from watching documentaries on Eric Clapton that substance abuse was rampant among the Derek and the Dominos group. Substance abuse and mental illness are a common mix and so often lead to the tragedy to his family, and himself, this gifted drummers life became.

Getting on drugs and becoming schizoid after is pure fault of the one getting on drugs, because drug addiction consequences are known to everyone including R/R drummers from LONG time ago.

Killing mother under influence of drugs or alcohol or consequential influence of schizophrenia is definitely punishable offense. Drugs or even drug dealers aren't guilty at all. The guilty one is whoever abused them to the point of psychological instability. Fortunately he was locked up and bothered no one with his occasional schizoid aggressions.  

@gregdude

Im 74+. I left home in 1966 at 17 (by 2 just months). My alcoholic mother would beat the crap  out of me for no cause other than she was an angry drunk. The night I left she was in my face (literally), screaming all manner of profanities. I finally snapped, and without realizing it, I pushed her into a corner with my hands around her neck, chocking her. Fortunately, I snapped out of it,pushed her away, grabbed my things and left. I lived out of my car for 30 days, bumming nights with friends. Never came back. I found similar aged boys on the streets with similar reasons, but mostly from alcoholic fathers

Derek and The Dominoes is one of the best Rock LPs in my opinion. Full of good music and great passion induced by talent, heart break, joy and lots of drugs. 
 Shortly after recording that album, the band toured. 
 Then, they broke up. Clapton went into hibernation and the band scattered. 
Jim Gordon went home to his mother’s house. Schizophrenia and drugs and lost in the universe, was a terrible place to be, especially after a year of hanging with The Dominoes (Bonnie and Delaney before that, who opened for Blind Faith. After that tour Clapton realized what a great band/family could be. Both bands broke up and The Dominoes came to be).
 I believe it was on that Blind Faith  tour that Clapton visited The Band at The Big Pink. He enjoyed the family vibe so much that Robbie Robertson jokes that he thought he was going to lose his job to Clapton. 
Skyscraper is right. 
 Jim Gordon was an excellent drummer musician. Never flashy. But always driving the song with tune, texture, finesse and time. 
bdp24, I feel you, man. I share your appreciation for such a wonderful musician. 
RIP Jim Gordon.