Harbeth 40.3's. Should I buy them?

I've owned a lot of speakers. I've just finished auditioning a pair of Alta Audio Alec's. Not good at all in my system. I own a pair of Spatial X3 open baffle speakers. I really like them and my wife doesn't. I recently bought a pair of Buchardt S400 MKII's for a second system. I say second system because I have a dedicated 2 channel room 15' x 19'. Upstairs in a much larger room, the Buchardt's were anemic, fine, 2 Adam subs solved the anemia. Then just for the heck of it (and because audio is a hobby) I moved the Buchardt monitors downstairs in the 'big guys' room. The Buchardt's loved that room and my wife loved the Buchardt's except they are to small for the listening room and our listening tastes.

I'm tired of buying and selling speakers. I've been to a hundred audio shows and have "favorites". Harbeth have always sounded great, not a show stopper, but, at shows, they've been totally inoffensive, warm and engaging in the same way I like Audio Notes AN-e.
We play all types of music. My wife especially likes classical, leaning towards female singers but too, she'll rock out on Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Keyes, Journey, you get the idea. Me, classic rock but anything that soothes my soul works. I like to play loud. My wife - louder, but not teenager loud.

We have an awesome front end to work with. Allnic T2000 30th integrated (60wpc in triode 150wpc in pentode), Allnic H5500 phono and Allnic D10000 DAC.

Why wouldn't we happy with this speaker?

128x128desalvo55

Always buy the Harbeths....By the by the only speaker I ever owned that didn't rock was a Tannoy but the issues were elsewhere perhaps...Tho I drove them with some Krell from the 90's. The JBL they say that rocks can just be shrill. Speakers that are supposed to be acceptable for only certain types of music is a theory that I don't ascribe to; Like different alcoholic beverages having different qualities of buzz- I don't think so and I'm a Friend of Bill's and I've seen 350 Dead shows for starters.

Personally the MBL 126  standmount speaker with a good sub,or two 

like the SVS -SB 4000 sub are a exceptional match  why  not only do you get a omni directional  loudspeaker where even off axis it sounds exceptionally good 

but this is their entry level speaker but have the same tweeter and midrange driver 

thstis in. Their $$ 100 k Loudspeaker if you heard them you would buy them no box

resonsnce and detail and speed Thst box speakers can rarely equal , with 2 opposing mid,bass drivers , a friend in our audio club owns them and a end game speaker they say 82 db efficiency but more like 86 db or better since music is coming out in 360 degrees equally ,Xover the sub around 55 hz you then have a full range monster total outlay around $20 k , but this setup speakers at $50 k 

just look them out great reviews Everywhere and with their grill screens off they look very unique with Thst exceptional MBL build quality.

You might want to take a look at the Vandersteen Tree CT's. I was a Harbeth owner for more than 10 years, SHL5's and M40's and though I enjoyed them for a long time I became bored with them. Great with some music but not everything. That may have been due to my room, electronics or any number of things but I got to the point where I had stopped listening to music. My musical tastes are all over the map from R&R to Classical and there were some things that the Harbeth's did very well but I just lost interest. I stayed with Harbeth for a long time because they play well at low volume which became a priority for me,

I moved on to the Vandersteen Treo CT ($9,995) which also plays well at low volume but sounds great with everything I play. Now if I were looking in the same price range you mentioned, I would look at the Vandersteen Quatro CT with it's built in subwoofers. I'm not sure they would work for your Allnic Integrated as they need an external crossover. My Aesthetix Mimas Integrated has one built in and I know that Ayre and Aesthetix have built-in crossovers available as an option. 

I would say that whatever you do you should try and hear whatever speaker you look at either with your electronics at a dealer or in your own home. No one else can really help much as we all have different listening priorities. Good Luck!

"I would have 14 days to return them. I would lose on shipping costs, that’s it."

At that price, up in my neck of the woods that purchase is called  a no brainer!

Have the Harbeth 40.2’s and 30.1’s and both are grand for classical, jazz, vocals, all things acoustic... sound a lot like Quad ESL 57’s - which is the best for these types of sounds. Harbeth’s sound best with great SS electronics - Harbeth usually shows them with Hegel - I drive mine with the Hegel H590 - which is superb. Though, it seems like the .3 versions sound better with tubes than the prior versions.

But... if... I were really into rock... I’d either learn to love "all things acoustic," or maybe consider something like ATC 100’s (or so) - if I were going to invest that much. They will do both well - just as the piece was recorded - since they are designed as studio monitors for sound engineers.

Though - if you don’t mind the size of speaker... the Legacy Audio Aeris or Focus SE’s is very hard to best, by any speaker - they also do all types of music very well. The only reason I don’t have these is because of their size / weight... and... because I have a house with a crawl space / suspended floor, which acts like a drum with loud music (hard to damp).

And... if you don’t mind saving some money... and have enough room for positioning the speakers... the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers will do all types of music very well - the La Scala, Cornwall, or Forte all sound superb and are very easy to drive - a very "live" sound.

The only reason I didn’t mention the Linkwitz LX521, which is the best... is... because you’re wife probably wouldn’t like their look.

If you can’t demo all of these at your local dealers... then go to YouTube and listen to demos of each speaker and you will very quickly learn how each performs with various kinds of music with various types of electronics. Those who say you can’t tell anything by listening to your computer or earphones on YouTube... simply aren’t listening - you can most certainly discern the differences in the sounds of various systems. You will not hear the sound as you would in your room, but you can certainly tell the differences between systems.

Here are the Klipsch Forte’s with tube electronics...