Choosing new cables

I am looking to upgrade my current cables.  This should be my last system as I retired a few years ago and most of my components have been seriously updated in the last couple of years.  I have been in this audio hobby for about 50 years and have always have great sounding musical systems.

My current cables all work and sound great but are 15 - 20 years old.  So updating is what I need.  I am budgeting around $10k - $15k for all new cables.

I have always felt the i/c's were the most important cable followed by the speaker cables and the power cords.  However I am now leaning towards spending more on the power cords followed by the speaker cables and last the i/c.

I know all cables are very important but how would you prioritize the cables?  Any suggestions on any brands would also be appreciated!

bobheinatz

@bobheinatz I have the Boulder 866 in a simple system with the Project RS2 CD Box transport and Joseph Perspective2s.  I just initiated a cable upgrade with a similar budget. I have tried a number of different power cables with the 866, including an older Elrod (my favorite with my previous amp), Core Power Diamond Extreme (a relative bargain), Audio Envy Whale, and a few others.  Two weeks ago, I ordered a Hijiri Takumi power cable.  It is still settling in, but was a substantial improvement from the get go (which, given the price, was a relief).  My investment in the Takumi followed a review of the various threads, talking with Colin, and also a back and forth with another Audiogon member who had tried the Takumi on his 866, with great effect (as he told me, "Believe me, there was a big part of me that kind of hoped it would just be another overhyped cord, but its impact was just undeniable."  I concur).  

For speaker cables, I have been using the Silversmith Fidelium.  I love them, especially at the price, but they may be a bit light on the bottom end.  I am currently in the market for an upgrade.  I just started an audition of a set of Argentpur cables made by Ernie Meunier (https://argentpur.audio).  I think they may be what I'm looking for, but I haven't had time to assess them yet.  Another cable I was looking at is the Inakustic 4004.

I use an AES/EBU from the Project to the DAC in the 866.  I don't know if you need a digital cable.  If so, I've had great experiences with both the Hijiri Million, and also Bob Grost's Cerious Lumnsicate cable. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck in the search!

Post removed 

I like the way you guys think...but...i would do speaker cables after upstream is a done deal...sc are only as good as what fed.

1.) Good power cables/conditioning.dedicated if possible.

2.) Ic’s that are keeper’s

3.) speaker cables to me are cherry on T😁

Disc,

I do remember reading about the Hijiri PC on the Boulder 866 and I will talk to Colin very soon about different options.   Can you tell me what changes it made to the Boulder 866.   Btw I have been a hard-core tube guy for 40+ years and I can't believe how much I am enjoying the Boulder 

@steakster 

From the 27 review done in Aug 2017   

• Use the power cord with the truest timbre at your source. It’s impossible to correct timbre after this point.

Amen