Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

Xtrremefidelity Music Direct gives you 60 days trial, No question ask if you return it.Of course you have to buy it. I also agree where some will Audition the gear ? Then buy elsewhere? That’s is wrong.The dealer did not read the OP intentions. He is a serious buyer.

Ghasley the dealer you are talking about ? He has done business with you and made money from you ? Why you receive annual card? My Persian rug store send me card before I bought the rug. Typical audio highend dealers who won’t treat newbee nice. I have experienced it so I know.

@jayctoy 

I send and receive notes to/from those with whom I have business or personal relationships. Its something thats done in certain circles.

I have found that clear expectations up front has helped to establish some great relationships while enhanced expectations usually follow excellent transactions be they any size of one to one purchase. I've never shopped for Persian rugs although I certainly wouldn't rule it out in the unlikely event the Persians somehow begin to weave rugs to an aesthetic standard that would fit our decor.

In the old economy, the dealer/retailer had to get on bended knee to earn the business...but they were only competing with others in the same business. With the advent of online sales, there are so many more options for the consumer that the local dealer/retailer must prequalify the potential client. This is one way. 

@ghasley Always the voice of reason and a cultivator of relationship and trust vs. the shallow transactional view of an ART obsession we chase in the service of music reproduction.

I amassed 12 phono stages …at home for a week long trial….. thru relationship…

PM me the dealer Kind Sir, most likely somebody i can relate to…..

Peace

Jim

Ghasley +1 agree, excellent post . Iam only hoping that audio dealers carefully treat new costumers with respect , true relationship is very important especially on this hobby. Iam also greatful that there so much options online now to compete with unfriendly audio local stores.