Tube amps - what 3 things…

Hello all,

I am close to purchasing a tube amp moving away from SS. So far I have listened to a pure sound, PL, and allnic. 

Question for all you experienced owners - if you could do it all over again, what 3 things/features would you look for in an amplifier and what 3 things/features would you not invest in again?

thanks

mpoll1

Not gonna lie, I had to google that. Do amps need to be DHT “ready” or are you saying make sure you get those types of tubes?

op

you won't get useful answers back if you don't describe the rest of your planned system, especially speakers, room size and musical taste

@jjss49 My answer is useful, he just has to design the rest of his system around a DHT SET.  :-) 

• Auto-bias circuity (this applies to push-pull topologies) is lovely, and usually includes superior protection & status indicators that are preferable to fuses. I’ve had a tube fuse blow and it wasn’t even immediately apparent that single tube was out (multiple push-pull pairs per side). I’ve also had a fuse fail to trip when a KT90 failed "spectacularly" and fried a resistor (and singed the PCB).
  • These days it might be wise to choose an amp that DOESN’T lock you into future Russian tube supply, e.g. KT90, KT120, KT150, KT170.
    KT88 are nice, reasonably high power, and have non-Russian alternatives available.
  • You might first decide what power level you’re looking for and branch from there. Low power opens up options like DHT (direct heated triode), SE (single ended, aka pure class A), and SET (single-ended triode - usually SET and DHT go together, e.g. 300B tubes). Medium power can be hit by either big DHT tubes or medium size tetrodes / pentodes like EL34 and 6L6GC. Some say those tubes still sound sweeter than the big tetrodes like KT88 - KT170 (and I’d tend to agree). For high power, you’re looking at class AB push pull, KT tubes 88+, and (often) multiple paralleled push pull pairs.
  • Amp driver circuits are often overlooked and definitely affect performance. I’m not a fan of 12AU7 here. I think 6SN7 is a lot better, for starters.
  • Always look at the service history for a brand. You want a brand that takes pride in its products and will service old out of warranty units without either balking or acting like they’re doing you a huge favor. Ideally, they will be based in your country. And really ideally, point to point wired amps are generally more serviceable (especially in the long run) than PCB based.

I second the auto bias feature is great to have,flexibility in which tubes to use,and a gain control and feedback control are nice features. Point to point wiring is a big plus - simple to upgrade parts and repair if needed.