Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

Why don’t you just buy it and if you don’t like it then return it. That’s how the system works

+1

I was able to audition integrated amp and speakers together in local shop, so no need to return.  I bought many big budget new items at 20% off and 60 day trial and no questions asked return.  Returned items are sold open box.  I purchased big ticket items used from a dealer that I trust and didn’t need to return, but pretty sure if I paid return shipping of items in good condition, he would have refunded the purchase price.

I would never pay 5% for a frankly worthless 1 hour demo. You need to listen to it for longer than an hour to know if it really sounds good to your ears with various types of music and a DAC pairing(s). For say a $2,500 streamer that’s $125/hour. Either this guy is new and won’t be in business for long or he really doesn’t take your potential business seriously and is using this scheme to turn you away. Either way, take your business elsewhere and make sure to tell him why you are doing this. Either he learns from it or he doesn’t care and deserves to suffer financially from lost sales.

If a dealer has been helpful and I’ve spent their time I would not look elsewhere but look for a reasonable discount from them. If you want to try this streamer I would call multiple dealers around the country and get the best deal you can get with a 0 penalty return policy. You will do much better that way. Some of the snobby dealers get pissed when you are looking for a deal …… but whatever. I get 20% minimum off everything I buy in the rare times I buy new. I don’t have any high end stores around me anymore so go by reviews. The only time they spend with me is a short phone call so I call that fair easy money. 

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Grimm mu1. So 5% is not exactly a small amount.