Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

My first question is, what 5% equates to in $$$$? For me 5% fee is a non-starter. Now if you are dealing with out of state dealer for home demo, they are likely to ask for deposit and expect you to pay shipping both ways. What brand of streamer you’re looking into? I may know someone that I can possibly recommend for in-home demo. 

I assume the dealer is the owner of the store and or can make up whatever rules he wants to. I do not think that is a common practice.

If your retailer wants to charge 5% for a home demo, I suggest you find a new retailer.   What brand music server streamer are you looking at?  

While there is no standard, that’s a new one for me. We don’t have any hifi store around here that would bring a streamer to my house, so I can hear it on my home system and then take it back and have to sell the device as an open box and not for the new price.

No standard. But that is strange.

How much does it cost? If it is a $20K streamer or a $1K streamer… it makes a difference. One hour isn’t a long time.

My dealer brings stuff to my house for free. He leaves it there for weeks. But this is stuff in the $20K range and I have known him for twenty years.