Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

The standard practice is you buy it for full price and have a 30 day period to return it. I think the dealer is taking risk by letting it out of his store and 5% (that will be applied if you buy it) is fair.

The dealer told me that if I buy it and return it there is 15% restocking fee. If he brings to my home for one hour it’s 5% fee. Of course, if f I buy it immediately there is no fee.

An hour?  That’s ridiculous.  Many dealers will loan out a model on a day when they’re closed, and I’ve never paid a fee.  I’d reject this dealer on principle alone. 

I've never paid a fee for a home audition. I tend to have a relationship with the few dealers I use, and that may make a difference.