Fantasy or reality? Inexpensive solid state preamps that get you 80% there?

Recently, I posted asking about solid state preamps in the $4k region. I got some really good suggestions. Much appreciated. I have that list saved in a folder and will consult it.

I'm still a bit shy about spending $4k. So, lately, I've found myself reading about Schiit Saga and Freya S preamps. Why? Well, the idea of a non-tube preamp still appeals to me but these are much, much less expensive. 

I'm wondering if anyone has done some comparing of Schiit's Saga and Freya solid state preamps? Have you tried either of these preamps and come to some conclusions about their sonic worth compared to other more expensive solid state preamps? Were they worth it? Were they just a waste of time for you?

In brief:

Schiit Saga S vs. Freya S?
Schiit Saga or Freya vs. more costly solid state preamps?

The ultimate reason for asking is that this is a hobby where it's easy to plunk down small amounts of money (relatively) thinking that one can get 80% of what they want only to find that there's really no free lunch. If that's the case, I'll just keep saving for something better (Pass, Ayre, etc.). If not, I might just try a Saga or Freya (or something else — Parasound used? Etc.)

128x128hilde45

@hilde45 ...Correct, but the Tortuga is an LDR type and once everything is correct it`s a pretty good passive.

I'd have to cast my vote for the Topping Pre90. I love mine, plug my turntable and my DAC into it and they both sound great. State of the art performance for not a lot of cash. Was lucky to nab one used like new for less than 500 bucks. Balanced XLR out to my amp, RCA out to the sub, being put to work and performing. Amazingly neutral and transparent, so much delicious detail and clarity and drive. Relay volume control is top notch, and has volume memory, very useful for switching between sources. 

This is a question that will give you infinity answers.  What one person thinks is good, the other will justify that its not due to the looks, price or specs.  The Schiit Freya + or Saga  brings excellent value as a pre amp costing less than $1k.  Heck, the Emotiva PT-100 at $300 bring even better value at this price point.  If your budget is a $4k system, you're in this range.  If your in a $10k budget, your llooking at McIntosh, and if your at $50k, your in a new realm. People who have unlimited disposable income will never be happy with a lower price cost preamp.  It just won't allow them to say it sounds good, its a phychological effect knowing something cheap is that good. I have never met an audiophile person with one system, they chase for something better.  And thats fine, its a fun hobby and costly too.

@drewdawg999 

Drew - do you have any of the 'sensitive' remote problems with your Pre 90 - that it doesn't work well from long distances or you have to aim it perfectly?

@mr_bill  I actually don't have any problems with the remote for the Pre90.  I sit right in front of my rack though and I'm about 8 feet away.  Guess I'm one of the few that has no complaints about it.