Something other than Harbeth SHL5

Don't get me wrong. I love my Harbeths, but they're all I've owned for a long time and it was Spendor before that. I've got the itch to try something new.

Budget around $8000 new.

Room size is 14.5 feet x 25 feet. Listening "area" is in one half the room.
Amplifier is Audio Hungary Qualiton A5i. Tube amp, 50 wpc
Primary source is FLAC and DSD files to PSAudio DirectStream Dac
Subwoofer is MJ Acoustics Reference 100 set at a roll-off of 34 Hz.

My musical tastes are classical, large-scale choral works, symphonies, along with solo piano, also organ (rumbling the floor). Some jazz, female voices, and a little opera, again female voices. I love good imaging, life-like sound, large soundstage, and the disappearance of the speakers. I like the feeling of being there, without going deaf. I feel like I have to play the SHL5s loud to make them come alive.  I'm very sensitive to upper frequencies going too harsh/bright.

I auditioned Audio Note AN-J in a studio and they blew me away in the way that they disappeared.  Detail, and soundstage were magnificent. However, I thought I heard a little graininess is the mid-range at one point.

I've also read a lot of reviews and did hear some samples on YouTube (I know, I know) of Audio Solutions Figaro M, and they did sound magical. They're simply not available in South Florida, so I will not be able to audition them. But there is definitely something going on with those speakers.

Has anyone heard all 3 or two out of 3 to give me some opinions? Thank you!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmikedc

I had a pair of Harbeth C-7ES for many years and felt as you do—great speakers that needed to be goosed to achieve realistic dynamics. After a long search I ended up with Daedalus, which gave me the tonal realism of my C-7s but with better dynamics, speed, and extension at both ends. At $8k you will need to find a used pair and they don’t show up often but are worth the wait. Lou is very helpful and can advise on available upgrades should you feel it necessary down the road.

Here is the best advise any here can give you.

Call Mike O'Keefe at HiFi Direct in Hackensack NJ.  He has been in the industry 40 years and has heard and knows everyone.  We were just discussing this topic during the week.  He has a pair of monitors for around $3700 that were just amazing.  He will probably take on the line.  PLUS he knows how to set-up speakers so a half inch movement yields better sound.  He won't give you bad advice.  Tell him Peter sent you.  Hey is is only a phone call.

Happy Listening.

Might I suggest Mangepan 3.7i?  As with any speaker, proper setup is mandatory. For the type of music you describe, they are worth a listen.