CD TRANSPORT THAT MAKES AN AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE

I CURRENTLY USE A CAMBRIDGE TRANSPORT WITH MY BERKELEY DAC 2 AND TOGETHER IT SOUNDS VERY, VERY GOOD - ALMOST GREAT : )

AMP, SPEAKERS AND CABLES ARE ALL EXCELLENT TOO.  

WHAT CD TRANSPORT WILL MAKE A SIGNIFICANT, AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE?

Paul

128x128paul_lindemann

@paul_lindemann 

I will not be able to facilitate your decision much.  I used a Linn Unidisc 1.1 as both a player and transport for 12 years until the laser died and Linn, in all their wisdom, designed a proprietary laser that they no longer manufacture.  AG members on the pre owned market for Unidisc models  be aware.  That said, without the benefit of experience or audition, reviews indicate best choices of currently marked products include Simaudio Moon, PS Audio, and Ayon.  

My response, with respect, is to @clearthinker. While I fundamentally agree bits are bits and the greatest benefit-cost ratio realized with DAC improvements, improvements in a digital source, make a difference due to design differences that reduce ground, radiated, and power supply noise … and timing.   A computer is not optimized in this regard to the degree of an audiophile transport or server.  In my journey, I realized audible improvements with upgrades from a dedicated MacBook on battery power running I-Tunes , to the Mac running Audirvāna, to an Aurender.  The progressive reduction in digital noise reduced background noise audible as a hash between images with an associated blacker background and increased detail, reduced high frequency “digital” glare, and a more organic sound.  As I have said, to each our own ear-brain connection. 

So Paul, from my perspective, transport improvements will be audible.  Look to the recommendations you received from all.  Most important, trust your own ear-brain connection.  Verify if you purchase used that the manufacturer will support the product.  See if they have projected a model support sunset since the industry is moving to serves.  Remember my Linn experience. 

Charles 1 dad,  is spot on with his assertions.  I am on my 3rd RS2T transport. The first 2 had issues, to put it mildly. Charles convinced me to try ONE more time, which I did. This one inspected by the Music Room before being sent out has

worked just as it should for the last 6 months or so. I have an Audiolab 6000 CDT in another system, which sounds very good, complimented with a good DAC.

However, as suggested by another contributor, A better DAC will improve things, I believe also.   BUT, BUT::: The RS2T transport with my Meitner Dac MA1 is SO FAR ABOVE the other, it's actually hard to believe, you have to hear it, it's actually like owning a new CD collection.  As Charles has commented several times before, it has to be the Laser and the Blue tiger servo system installed. Ask anyone that owns one, its hard to believe my earlier comments, but, its sound is just wonderful. Hope this helps, only problem is, Expensive, at least by my standards. To hear is to believe. Robert TN

Probably not adding much to the discussion but I have a PS Audio transport with a Brinkmann Nyquist DAC.  We couldn’t be more pleased.  Plus, I picked up the transport used so saved a bundle.  I can tell you it is a significant improvement over  the Denon set up.    I have no idea why it improved clarity and details but no question it did.

@langla4

Probably not adding much to the discussion but I have a PS Audio transport with a Brinkmann Nyquist DAC. We couldn’t be more pleased. Plus, I picked up the transport used.

I believe you. I owned the P.S. Audio PWT for 12 very happy years before replacing it with the Pro-Ject RS2T in 2021. In my opinion the PWT is still one of the better higher level CD transports that one could acquire and very high value if bought used. It was exceptionally reliable during those12 years of heavy usage.

Charles

a cheaper alternative to their trans, but can be used as one:

Project DS3 Standard sheet metal housings are not torsion-resistant and mechanical accurate enough to mount a sensitive CD drive where the laser position has to be correct all the time. Our massive aluminium chassis provides the best basis for the CD drive and our Blue Tiger CD-80 servo developed by Stream Unlimited is the most advanced on the market.