How much does a DAC do the more expensive it is?

Having spun an Oppo 105 for many years on its own before adding a Schiit Gungnir (bought for a generous steal from a wonderful seller here), I was immediately struck with how much more presence and detail the Schiit added to the Oppo's presentation. 

That Gungnir, even new, pales in comparison pricewise with 4 and 5 figure DACs I see for sale here.

So what do those much more expensive DACS do for sound? I mean, how much more information can be dug out of the digital files? Is it akin to what a good phono stage can do for a cartridge?

128x128simao

A little update on my A/B comparison between a PS Audio DS DAC Mk1 ($6800) and an Ayre Codex ($1800 new?) w/ both being fed by an iFi Neo Stream (I²S to DSD and USB to Codex).  I was using Roon, as I always do and the Neo was using fiber from NUC into the fiber SC input...  Bottom line, they both had their strengths and weaknesses.  The DS DAC was definitely more refined (ie less congested in busier passages).  It's highs were a bit softened which I absolutely dislike (and I've known about this trait for quite some time).  The Codex exhibited better front to back imaging and better treble.  The bass was a tad boomier than the DS DAC which I also do not care for but it was very slight.  It still reaches down pretty damn low for such a little DAC.  That little extra bass energy just mucks up busy parts of a song just a tad, IMO.  Very slight but I hear it.  I honestly preferred the Codex though even due to it's short comings.  It could very well be that it synergized better with my other Ayre Gear even though it was a cheap DAC.

In this case the cost, is not worth the jump up to the DS DAC, IMO.  So I said screw them both and just ordered a new Ayre QX-5 Twenty 😂  Ayre just sings to me whereas PS Audio is a bit too laid-back/relaxed for my tastes.  If I want that, I'll throw on a record.  I love hearing ride cymbal ping/cymbal sizzle that take a while to decay.  This is realism to me since I play the drums.  The DS DAC muffles them it a bit and I don't care for that.  Sure it is more pleasing to the ears, but I crave accuracy even if it's more piercing (as cymbals should always be!). 

I have no doubt that the QX-5 will nail the bass perfectly (deep and even tauter than the PS Audio), retain the sweet highs, have even better front to back soundstage than either of the other two DACs and be more refined than the PS Audio.  And those traits are what a higher priced DAC should bring to the table.  But in all seriousness, I was looking for a QX-5 before ever doing this.  This little exercise merely motivated me to do it now :) 

You might consider swapping out the oppo for a transport such as Jay's or pro-ject first.  Seems to me it makes more sense to ensure you're extracting as much data from disc's as possible before moving to a more expensive DAC.  

@simao I have tested dozens of DACs ranging from the Khadas Tone 2 up to the dCS Rossini w/ Clock.  

All DACs are a trade off between detail, image size (height/width) and depth.  Almost all of these DACs offer some coloration or interpretation of how music is supposed to sound.  There is not a linear relationship from a pricing stand point but ultimately, generally the higher the price the less compromise between these three factors.  This holds in broad terms when you consider units in different price clusters but individual results will vary.  

You have to get into the details of each product in terms of comparisons

@verdantaudio Thanks for the explanation and the relationship between the three factors. That's something I'll keep in mind when/if I upgrade. 

@stuartk Agreed - but I also use the Oppo for streaming and I don't want to lose that. 80% streaming and 20% cd

All DACs are a trade off between detail, image size (height/width) and depth.

to these parameters being traded off i would add quality tone/truth of timbre, prat, and (non sonically) build quality/ergonomics/feature set