The new Borresen M1's...a new direction?

The new stand mount speaker from Borresen, called the M1’s, look very interesting. They are utilizing a 4.5" mid/bass driver and a ribbon tweeter. The bass response is stated to go down to 40hz, which for a 4.5" driver is impressive.

The technology employed in the speaker is also somewhat novel, yet it also comes at a cost.

That cost is $100K. or in Europe 94K Eu.

Question is, how many other speaker designers will be producing a stand mount two way with a 4.5" bass/mid driver and now contemplating a price point in the $100-$200K range?

Another question, how many of these M1’s would be expected to sell? And to whom?

128x128daveyf

Anyway, all expensive and cheap speakers’ sounds in the world are ear hurting veiled and inducing Tinnitus. Only my Antero speakers are a safe from Tinnitus.

I work in professional market speakers. I would never ever make such a false claim, especially something health related. Only way your speakers are going to prevent Tinnitus is if they do not play loud.

One Reviewer gave the Borresen M1’s "Best Of Show"

Here are some things that same reviewer said in another Borresen review:

I did this for nearly every other model in the Børresen line-up. Depending upon the specific upgrades between models, such as driver complement and materials, I heard steady improvements in clarity and a stunningly low noise floor as I moved up.

A noise floor? On speakers? Does this reviewer even know what noise is? For me that makes everything he says questionable.

How did the unorthodox speaker positioning work out for the Børresen Z1 Cryos? In my usual speaker position, which is 2-3′ from the rear,

He means front, and 2-3 feet as many know is not nearly enough to get rid of SBIR

What are those thin  panels on the wall supposed to do? They won't work low enough for SBIR, and they are too small even at 2-3 feet to block much of the rear reflections. Is he intentionally not making his room very good? 

Is this the current state of professional audio reviews?

There are some very very significant claims for the M1, especially at that price. Lots of claims of amazing sound, but I can find that for almost any product. Their claims all relate to technical proficiency. Low distortion, low resonance, and I think good dispersion is implied.  You don't verify that listening in a random room. You do verify that with a measurement system. So where are their measurements?  I am very very suspect that they have not provided any.

nah, I have to admit being impressed by the Raidho D1.2 before the covid lockdown and last year at axpona the bookshelf Borrensen, but after seeing a pair of raidho D5's resell for 10% of their list price at only 4 years old it's clear the target market for these guys is throw away money rich! This is clearly a rich mans club and mere mortals need not apply.

If it costs 100k and doesn't weigh at least 500 pounds I'm not buying! 😉

@steve59 Somehow, I do not think you will be seeing a used pair of M1’s showing up anytime soon. If they did, i seriously doubt they would sell for 10% of retail.

Nonetheless, what you say about the club is true, IME. In some ways, this makes it better for the rest of us, because these very same folk can afford to dump great gear at far lower prices.

dump great gear at far lower prices.

Lower price yes, but is it a good price?  It is like those discount stores that say 50% off MSRP, except the MSRP is inflated and not a single unit was ever sold at that price.