Building stands for Harbeth 40.2's

I talked with my builder today. I told them I would reach out for more expert opinions on a final design.

Since the TonTragers are the benchmark for Harbeth stands, I'm trying to match them as much as possible.

Question 1- The TonTragers have a 1 inch riser in each corner of the top of the stand. Is this critical for optimal sound ? Or would it be sufficient for the speaker to sit flat on the top of the stand ?

Question 2- Obviously the top needs to be open except for the exterior frame, but can the base be a solid flat piece of wood...or should that be open also ?

Please chime in with any ideas...also I plan on using some good cone spikes on the bottom.

I've attached a pic of the TonTrager for reference for the above questions.

Thanks in advance.

krelldog

Funny you should mention. I am in the process of making stands for Harbeth P3ESR XDs. The base of the stand should have 4 adjustable spikes to engage the floor. I am turning a single spindle with a unique shape averaging 6" in diameter. It is hollow and will be filled with lead shot. The top plate is triangular with three 1" tall 1.5" diameter dowels at each corner. I will attach the speaker with 3M carpet tape. The stands are overall 36" tall. They are made out of Walnut matching the speakers. 

TTs explained in their website pic and a sample pic of my cloned stands following.

I used TonTrager with my 30.1, and they were excellent. They also looked very attractive (the photos posted is not a good one to judge by).

But let's be clear about something: the speakers are not decoupled from the stands.