Building stands for Harbeth 40.2's

I talked with my builder today. I told them I would reach out for more expert opinions on a final design.

Since the TonTragers are the benchmark for Harbeth stands, I'm trying to match them as much as possible.

Question 1- The TonTragers have a 1 inch riser in each corner of the top of the stand. Is this critical for optimal sound ? Or would it be sufficient for the speaker to sit flat on the top of the stand ?

Question 2- Obviously the top needs to be open except for the exterior frame, but can the base be a solid flat piece of wood...or should that be open also ?

Please chime in with any ideas...also I plan on using some good cone spikes on the bottom.

I've attached a pic of the TonTrager for reference for the above questions.

Thanks in advance.

krelldog

TTs explained in their website pic and a sample pic of my cloned stands following.

I used TonTrager with my 30.1, and they were excellent. They also looked very attractive (the photos posted is not a good one to judge by).

But let's be clear about something: the speakers are not decoupled from the stands.

@whipsaw 

I appreciate your comment …. I guess that NO speaker is decoupled from their speaker stands .

If I highlight below the TT narrative explaining the purpose of extended tenons in my prior post, maybe that is a better synopsis for the readers. (Y/N)?

• The upper tenons absorb cabinet resonances.
  • The lower tenons serve to decouple external influences