What is your experience with amp power?

So I wanted to know what my fellow audiophiles feel about power.

I realize that some speakers are current hounds and need a prodigious amount of power or watts (lets say Maggies). But my question is for speakers that do not. Speakers that are easy to drive, or maybe just higher in efficiency and can be driven by a modest tube amp or even an adequate receiver. 

What is you experience with high power, high current amps ? Do your speakers sound better with more power? At low volumes, in a small or medium sized room? Do you think the quality of the music is dependent on higher powered amps?

128x1282psyop
Some build a system around a speaker, some around an amp. Pretty loaded question with many possibly answers... I might venture to say though that the beauty of an amp be not judged by it's power!

I'll share my experience. Along with a pair of Legacy Audio Focus speakers which are low to mid 90's efficient, I was using a Plinius SA-103 power amp that delivered 125 watts into 8 ohms and 220 watts into 4 ohms. I always felt that it lacked a bit of power and indeed there were times when listening at high volume levels during a sudden transient, it would go into protection mode. I decided to sell it and replaced it with a Plinuis SB-301MKII which offers 310 watts into 8 ohms and 470 watts into 4 ohms. The improvement was amazing. I had a much deeper dynamic range now and everything sounded more balanced across the frequency spectrum. I have never driven this amp into clipping or protection mode and I'm afraid to think what it would take.

In contrast in my second system, I am driving Legacy Audio Signature III's with a small Plinius (yes, I like Plinius and Legacy together) 9100 integrated rated at 120 watts into 8 ohms and it drives them with authority. I recently picked up a small EL34 tube amp that puts out a whopping 8 watts for another project. I hooked it up to the Signature III's and was amazed at how good it sounded......with the right music! And there is the rub! When playing a cut from say, Passenger with an acoustic guitar and vocals it has plenty of power and can play loud. In contrast switching over to a London Grammar track with lots of deep bass, you can hear the tubes go into clipping easily. As a matter of fact, it can barely play some of their tracks.

So my conclusion is, the more power the better except in some circumstances where you may be listening to acoustic music or light jazz then you can get away with less power. The key to each of the aforementioned amps is current and power rating together. I would never drive high efficiency speakers with high power however so there are always exceptions to the rule. 

@realworldaudio 

as most of us have no hearing above 14kHz or so

How do you know this? My audiograms only measure from 250-8000Hz.

What is your experience with amp power?

good discussion here so far ...

my short answer is:

’all else equal, more power over less power -- but all else is never equal’

that’s where the fun begins

I use Pass XA30.8 to drive my 87db sensitive 4ohm Wilson Sabrinas. Room is not too large and 90% of the time the amp never leave class A (30 watts per channel). Match the amplifier power to  your speakers as well as your room, it’s not so much  the quantity but the quality that’s important.