Why does it take so long to get stuff?

So I ordered some speakers from my hifi dealer - $4500 ProAC’s. I was told they would be 3-5 weeks for delivery. Now I love the audio store and value the dealer network but in this day and age why does anything take 5 weeks. I went with the ProAc due to the dealer support etc but an alternative was a Buchardt speaker. 

Buchardt was $2500, gets great reviews, and arrives in 1-4 days anywhere in the world. 

In the UK the ProAC speakers are, in todays Exchange rates, roughly $3300. Now I don’t mind the mark up (but it’s a lot). Now assuming the dealer has them in stock why can’t they direct ship to me, or the store in 48 hours. I think it’s time the traditional manufacturers started adopting this style of approach - everyone in the chain can still get their mark up - but customers who be able to get what they want quicker. 

This delay is just making me question my purchase — I guess I’m too impatient but it’s the reality of commerce these days. 

kiwiscott

@kenjit I meant built to order and it very much depends on the size of the manufacturer and particularly whatever veneer the customer has chosen. And please don't derail Scott's thread.

Now assuming the dealer has them in stock

Ask them..Sure sounds like you figured out what went wrong..your assumptions.

A $1200 upcharge to get a pair of speakers from the UK to NZ

Agreed. I’m in NJ, USA. 

overall it would be great for the local dealers to know the stock levels at the manufacturer …. And then I could order with a little more information. I’m sure that a lot of the manufacturers are building to order but if they keep it that way too long then the ‘new style’ of online only, manufacturer to consumer with free trials and free returns will be hard to beat. 

I fell sorry for the retailers here because they are the people with the real expertise we all need to hear from. 

Well even to get the speakers to NJ still costs a lot I wanted to buy a bottle of cognac from France the shipping was going to be $60. Imagine how much a pair of speakers must cost. And good on you working with a retailer if we don't continue to support them they will vanish!

There was a huge surge in audio purchases because of the pandemic. Most manufacturers got behind. This presented a real challenge for small local retailers, because they don’t have the capital to creat large orders to have stuff sitting in stock, while larger internet based ones do. 

A friend of mine is a local retailer… and he is completely cognizant that in nearly 50% of the cases having something in stock versus not means the difference between a sale and not. But, they don’t have millions to buy inventory. Personally, these guys are the ones allowing you to audition equipment. Without them, you are guessing at what you are buying. I would try and support them.