Why do we stop listening to new music as we get older?

Hello all,

Sometimes I find myself wondering why there is so little newer music in my library. Now, before you start in with rants about "New music is terrible!", I found this rather interesting article on the topic. (SFW)

With the maturing of streaming as a music delivery platform, and the ease of being able to surf new artists and music, it might be time to break my old listening habits and find some newer artists.

Happy listening. 

128x128musicfan2349

Today, in no particular order I listened to a Dvorak symphony, something by Chris Brubeck, Taylor Swift and David Chesky. Everything but the symphony was new music to me.

Who is “we”? I just added a dozen new releases to my library yesterday, with most being MQA releases. Using Roon, it’s very easy to find  new releases for a particular artist

Two words.  Getting Old.

When I'm driving and scan thru the radio stations, I can't get into the music I hear.  I then stop at HPR (Hawaii's NPR) and listen to the wonderful news of the world.  My "new" music comes from Sampler cd's and random browse Spotify.  If I hear an artist I like, I'll go from there.  My brother and I used to laugh and my dad for things he did.  He warned us "one of these days you're going to....".  Well, just like my dad I have three different glasses, grunt when I stand up, walk slowly on my bad knees, stand up to get something, take 5 steps and forget what that something was!  

Yup, getting old.  Grandchildren, Senior citizens card. Hair thinning.  I'm even considering taking my septum ring out!

Speak for yourself! 

I'm close to 70 and though I love my favorites from over the years, exploring new musical frontiers is one of the best things about being happy with one's system and using a streamer.