New Class D amplifiers

Hello. I'm very interested in getting your opinion on the newer Class D amplifiers.  There has been a couple of very positive reviews (by Guttenberg) of the Bel Canto C6i and NAD M23.  These, and perhaps some others are offering new technology that significantly lower the class D noise level and other drawbacks.    

I currently use a Class A amp, Pass Labs INT-25 (with Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers) which has a wonderful sound. But I am transitioning to another location, and due to using Roon primarily I find that this system stays on most of the day.  Due to heat and power usage of Class A amplifiers, I'm interested in translating to Class D if I find something comparable.

128x128grantgg

FWIW, a friend brought over his two class D amps (Peachtree stereo and Atma monos) to compare to my two class A amps (Reference Line Silver and modded Plinius SA103). The class A was better in virtually every way. He was disappointed and sold his amps. I was also disappointed because I like the idea of a light amp that uses little power, and was willing to switch if it sounded as good. But the trade-off is too great for me--and for him. He also has the 25-watt Pass class A. Nice thing about the Plinius is that it idles in A/B and you can switch to A when you want to listen.

Digital Amplifier Company made some great class D gear. It's a shame Tommy isn't around any longer. I loved the Cherry amps I had. I haven't seen anyone mention D-Sonic and I am curious why. I like the D-sonic amps I have heard with a Tube stage in front of them. Are D-Sonic amps behind the times or where do they stack up on the Class D ladder?

I have owned the Cherry amps (both the stereo and the monoblocks) and the Atma-Sphere monoblocks - I thought both were outstanding Class D amps. I now own a D-Sonic stereo amp which IMO rivals both of the above. The Cherrys are gone for obvious reasons and I sold the Atma-Spheres once I heard the D-Sonics which are about half the price. I can't say the D-Sonics were better, but to me they sounded as good and at half the price they were a much better value in my system

Having owned the 2Cherry, which at the time sounded better than a number of other amps I had owned/auditioned...I would say that the Starkcrimison Stereo Ultra improves upon the 2Cherry in that it has both a more detailed and a more powerful low end.

At the end of the day, all we can do as enthusiasts is try products that seem to be getting a good buzz and see if they are compelling in our own systems...and then if so, decide whether to make a change.

I’m a tube head and never warmed to many Class D amps. But, as time went on and I heard more Class D offerings that and began to find them sonically appealing.

About a year ago, I bought a "summer amp" to substitute in for my tube amps during the heat of the summer. I tried a Ken Ishiwata voiced Marantz reference Ruby integrated. It sounds as good as several of my tube amps, and better than a few well known names. It doesn’t beat my 48 watt SET 805 Class A amp, but it’s really, really, good. I hate to list the tube amps that the Marantz beat in my system.

I think the key to Class D is voicing by the designer. I’ve tried several other Class D amps that sounded a bit too dry and lacked warmth and life.