Esoteric N-05XD opinions please

Hi all,

I’ve been considering the esoteric N-05XD as a streamer cum dac. I don’t want to go with seperates. Will probably add a melco or innuos server down the line for local storage. And will run the esoteric off the ethernet player port of these servers.

I currently have a esoteric K-01 Sacd player. I plan on connecting it to the N-05XD via coaxial. And sync them both with a Teac CG-10M master clock. This might bring the sonics of my aging cd section to date.

I always found the dac section of K-01 to be a detail hound. And leaning onto the analysis side in my system. I believe esoteric have moved away from that sound signature with their master discrete dac implementation. Thus, wanted opinions from folks who own one or have auditioned one. Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks and best regards

Mike Y

wrxsti

Thanks again @thyname

I would prefer to stay within the Esoteric line to the extent possible. Ive read great things about the N-01XD, but sadly cant stretch to it. And if the N-05XD has not fallen far off the tree, then i can buy it blind. The only thing needed is a little user confirmation, that in paring down the N-01 XD to arrive at the price point of the N-05 XD not a lot has been scarificed.

Iam mainly looking for a more relaxing sound, with slight warmth, but without sacrificing detail in the bargain. Does the new Esoteric sound fit this bill in your good opinion. Thanks

@mahler123 the esoteric's use the same app as Lumin. Ive read that esoteric has out sourced the streaming software and firmware updates to Lumin.

Thanks and best regards

Mike Y

@wrxsti :

Iam mainly looking for a more relaxing sound, with slight warmth, but without sacrificing detail in the bargain. Does the new Esoteric sound fit this bill in your good opinion.

To answer your question, but based on my N-01XD only, a resounding YES! Details and sparkle in spades, but not fatiguing or harsh in no shape or form. Best of both worlds, as unbelievable as this sounds. Cannot speak of the N-05xd as I don’t own it, but it should be pretty close. I have heard the N-05xd in a couple of audio shows, and that’s the extent of it.

esoteric’s use the same app as Lumin. Ive read that esoteric has out sourced the streaming software and firmware updates to Lumin.

Technically it’s Esoteric own app, called Sound Stream, but you are correct, almost identical to the LUMIN app barring some visual differences, and built by the LUMIN folks. The software that is, not the hardware. The streaming hardware is Esoteric own in-house

Thanks a ton again @thyname

Esoteric it is then :)

Thanks and best regards

Mike Y