Esoteric N-05XD opinions please

Hi all,

I’ve been considering the esoteric N-05XD as a streamer cum dac. I don’t want to go with seperates. Will probably add a melco or innuos server down the line for local storage. And will run the esoteric off the ethernet player port of these servers.

I currently have a esoteric K-01 Sacd player. I plan on connecting it to the N-05XD via coaxial. And sync them both with a Teac CG-10M master clock. This might bring the sonics of my aging cd section to date.

I always found the dac section of K-01 to be a detail hound. And leaning onto the analysis side in my system. I believe esoteric have moved away from that sound signature with their master discrete dac implementation. Thus, wanted opinions from folks who own one or have auditioned one. Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks and best regards

Mike Y

wrxsti

Hi @thyname

Yeah mine is a very old K-01. And not even the earlier x version. I still think it works great as a  transport. And i was feeding it to a AMR dp-777 which worked very well. And to be honest, the K-01, despite its aged dac section still sounds very resolving to my ears. I have been using a Cambridge Azur 851N for streaming from Tidal so far. And want to invest in better gear to improve my streaming playback. Considering the gear I presently use, I would think any 5k dac will be a big improvement on my current gear. I woud ideally like to keep it to one box, as Iam limited by shelf space in a small urban dwelling. And I tend to hold onto my purchases for pretty long.

So was considering the N-05XD. But user feedback is pretty scarce on this one. Though I found a few online reviews which were positive, as can be expected. The plan was to clock my old K-01 to the digital inputs of the N-05XD. As i still spin a lot of CD's. And give the old brick a new lease of life.

The other contendors are the Lumin P1 ( But i dont need a preamp ) and a Aurender A15 ( i dont know how good their dac implementation will be). Thus, Iam mainly focusing on the N-05XD. Thanks 

Thanks and best regards

Mike Y

Post removed 

I presently use, I would think any 5k dac will be a big improvement on my current gear.

Mike @wrxsti : I agree with this. You will just to figure out which DAC. You are most certainly in the right path with the N-05xd, but of course, there are many great DACs out there, that have a streamer (network bridge) built in.

I have the N-01XD for the past 2+ years now, and it’s definitely my endgame DAC, until it breaks down I have zero interest in looking at other DACs. The N-05XD was released later / more recently, it’s below the 01xd line, but I bet it’s a great DAC, same sound signature as the N-01XD