The LRS+ Speakers

I’ve known about the Magnepan LRS+ speakers for a while, but haven’t specifically paid close attention to them. Over the weekend, I came across both a written review and an Absolute Sound YouTube review of these speakers. I think it’s fair to say if there were ever a “rave” review, this was it. The folks at TAS are obviously impressed. The reviewer is upfront about saying that the Pluses don’t do everything fantastically, but what they do do well is amazing. In a nutshell, soundstage and nuanced decay seem to be second to none. Have you heard these? If so, my question is do the LRS+ exceed even the higher priced Maggies in this regard, or is it that have found a way to bring these characteristics down to a lower price point than ever before? In other words, is there anybody out there thinking of replacing their current Maggies with the LRS+? Are they THAT good? Opinions?

128x128pascon

@rankaudio That's interesting. I primarily listen to jazz: Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Chet Baker, Wes Montgomery, Ray Brown, etc. etc. and find they image exceptionally well. I'm discovering that Maggie's - in my application - need to be placed a little closer together than conventional box speakers with significant toe-in. 

I find the LRS+ and Magnepan in general, are easier than expected to set up sounding good, but that to do "everything" set up becomes much more exacting...

I currently have 3.7i and 2 subs in a 12 x 15 room and love everything about them. Previously had 1.7i and a friend brought his LRS over and they just weren't the same with dynamics, imaging or anything except maybe a bit of midrange magic. As others have said you do need plenty of power , I'm using a Pass 250.8 .  I've tried other lesser amps and they just didn't do it.

Hope that helps.

Hi audionoobie,

Here's a link with a bit more details. I'm glad you are enjoying yours. That's all that matters. Happy listening.

I wasn't impressed with the older LRS when  I heard them at the store. Bought the LRS+ when they came in because of the great reviews. The last pr.  he had in white....Wow...Totally different sound. Beautiful...Musical....get a pr. Can't go wrong for a grand....