Opinion: Modern country is the worst musical genre of all time

I seriously can’t think of anything worse. I grew up listening to country music in the late 80s and early 90s, and a lot of that was pretty bad. But this new stuff, yikes.

Who sees some pretty boy on a stage with a badly exaggerated generic southern accent and a 600 dollar denim jacket shoehorning the words “ice cold beer” into every third line of a song and says “Ooh I like this, this music is for me!”

I would literally rather listen to anything else.Seriously, there’s nothing I can think of, at least not in my lifetime or the hundred or so years of recorded music I own, that seems worse.

bhagal

@akg_ca Well don’t you just make a newcomer feel welcome.  
Good thing the post-# police are out, keeping watchful eye on how many posts people have made, and then strongly advocating silencing people whose opinions they don’t like - “too bad that the AGON blocking feature doesn’t include the forum posts yet.”

If I find myself in the unfortunate position of being exposed to the stuff that comes out of speakers when someone is listening to a contemporary “country” music station, I know what pure, unmitigated agony is.
I can at least, on an abstract level, conceivably understand eating Easy Cheese (well, even that one’s a stretch…), watching The Bachelor or Emily in Paris, or watching curling or NASCAR.  
No such understanding with this aural experience.  

It is disingenuous to conflate criticism of this aural experience with criticism of, say, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Mickey Newbury, or Townes Van Zandt.  
As others have noted, there may indeed be plenty of good music today that would be considered “country.”   
Again, conflating a criticism of such with criticism of the average, everyday contemporary “country” music station is disingenuous.

I grew up with hillbillies and hillbilly music (in rural New England, actually part of the Appalachian chain I guess). Rarely missed a square dance or a touring singer. I dropped out for a while - when I came back I found it had been replaced by Bluegrass and Country & Western, mostly for politically correct folks I think. Loved the 'Country', not so much the 'Western'. My gods included Hank Williams (Sr) and Eddie Arnold. I'm still amazed when I listen to Hank Williams, that is a voice you only hear once in a life time. Sort of like a present day Eva Cassidy. 

OP, learn to appreciate more what you like and to simply dismiss what you don't. Frankly most folks aren't going to be impressed with (your) negative opinions. I'm not.

What I would call corporate country music is pretty awful. The other side cowboy music or alt country or Americana whatever you care to call it is great.

Not even close , Rap crap 💩 is the most untalented crewgojng

back in the 60s, 70s Motown was excellent and back then you had to be able to sing,songwriter and play an instrument , no gimmicks , just talent !!