Tube DACs

For some time I've assumed that tube DACS are meant for direct output to power amps -- in other words, no reason to use a tube DAC if you are running through a tube preamp (unless all components are by same mfr and designed for synergy).

But lately I have seen posts implying some run Brand A tube DAC through brand B tube preamp -- say, Primal Luna 100 to Rogue RP-9. Can't find any prior threads addressing this topic directly.

So, question: am I wrong to suppose that pairing random tube DAC A with random tube preamp B is a bad, or at least a silly idea, absent a known synergy?

S

hickamore

All components have a sound. Tube DACs were not designed to eliminate the preamp any more than a tube phono pre is. Yes tubes into tubes could get too tubey but if they are well designed they will probably work fine. No generalizations are possible.

I have a Black Ice tube DAC (new purchase, very happy) playing through a Raven integrated tube amp. Sounds really good, starting to rival my analogue front end.

It has a gain control, which doubles as a volume control for headphones. It is not designed to be connected directly to a power amp as far as I know.

I went with a Tube DAC with the intention of tube rolling, which I did immediately. Huge change after adding some NOS Mullard’s. Done for now.

No reason not to use a Tube DAC with a SS amp. Or the converse...my phono stage is SS. IMO the Cart/TT does the sound shaping and I wanted a clean, quiet transfer from the PS.

"Tube DACs were not designed to eliminate the preamp any more than a tube phono pre is."

The above succinctly states what all responses are telling me, and thanks for it. There are those who run streamer/dac/pre combo units straight to amp. But none of these products are tubed so far as I'm aware . . . ?

Why ? Tube dacs can sound very good but there are far more SS dacs that are better in several areas  for under$7 k World class T&A 200 dac 

that is next on my list it is exceptional and I have heard many dacs at 2x the cost 

not as good.

@audioman58 The T+A DAC 200 is actually top of my list. With a tube preamp always. Whether a tube DAC would better sit my ears is TBD.