Fantasy or reality? Inexpensive solid state preamps that get you 80% there?

Recently, I posted asking about solid state preamps in the $4k region. I got some really good suggestions. Much appreciated. I have that list saved in a folder and will consult it.

I'm still a bit shy about spending $4k. So, lately, I've found myself reading about Schiit Saga and Freya S preamps. Why? Well, the idea of a non-tube preamp still appeals to me but these are much, much less expensive. 

I'm wondering if anyone has done some comparing of Schiit's Saga and Freya solid state preamps? Have you tried either of these preamps and come to some conclusions about their sonic worth compared to other more expensive solid state preamps? Were they worth it? Were they just a waste of time for you?

In brief:

Schiit Saga S vs. Freya S?
Schiit Saga or Freya vs. more costly solid state preamps?

The ultimate reason for asking is that this is a hobby where it's easy to plunk down small amounts of money (relatively) thinking that one can get 80% of what they want only to find that there's really no free lunch. If that's the case, I'll just keep saving for something better (Pass, Ayre, etc.). If not, I might just try a Saga or Freya (or something else — Parasound used? Etc.)

128x128hilde45

Since the ARC SP-3 came out in the early 1970’s, if a solid state designer/manufacturer hasn’t learned how to mimic a good tube pre-amp in 49 years for a reasonable price, I would be shocked!

Mimic is not the same as "identical," but might be close enough for the $$.

Of course, you could always buy a used tube one and save from paying new prices, AND get the sound you are seeking.

Cheers!

Post removed 

The Audio GD master 19  preamp under $1400, or model 29 if you have around $2k ,they are very good examples ,yes made in China but many parts made in U.S Japan and Europe. 2 big R core transformers , substantial u.k capacitors 

and a 100 step relay controlled preamp with a very respectable headphone amp 

with adjustable gain to match your other electronics . Excellent value for the money with excellent bass and dynamics unmatched in its price class. I compared the Schitt and nothing there for power supplies to match the midBass and bass of the Audio gd , not saying it is the end all ,but very good quality value for the Money.

Most of us here are interested in the best sound quality we can get. While there are definitely flavors in sound and differences in absolute sound quality… if you know the kind of sound you want and do your research, then every time a component of double the price is going to sound significantly better.

What constitutes 80% or one is completely in our heads… or no question the $20 component wins. But, you get what you pay for. The real question is do you want the best sound you can afford or just a really cost effective system. You are toying in the mid-fi vs high-fi realms.

A good used audiophile preamp that you can purchase for around $4K-$5K can be a central hub of an audiophile system for many years or decades. A $2K preamp will sound pretty good… but never give you the highly refined sound of a hi-end preamp, and the solid construction.

Solid state preamps can sound very much like tubed these days… there has been a lot of improvements in solid state. But you end up paying for it. Personally I would only look at tubed preamps. Most can last for many many years without a thought to tube replacement… and the tubes are small and not expensive.

Anyway if you are looking for really good sound, buying stuff that might be “good enough” is going to be very disappointing and cost lots more in the long run as you buy the cost effective stuff and then keep trading up to get better sounding or drop out because none of it was worth it. Each purchase must be carefully chosen to maximize your enjoyment, or probably you will not.